Major Mirroring Project - How to?

willharris10

I'm building my 6 HDD Raid Array - or I will when 3Tb drives become available again.

I'm also going to be buying a Dune D2 most probably - to stream my movies from the Raid Array on my PC. I'm using My Movies to catalogue everything and also to control the Dune I'll buy in the future. Am very excited about the whole thing. Having to be patient too. Not easy.

My challenge, is that I'd like to set up a mirrored collection at my parents house, so that if and when I get broken into, my collection is effectively backed up in another location. I'd also like them to be able to watch the films. As will I when I am down with the folks. I'm not interested in picking a copyright fight as I own all these films and half the discs are at their house half the time already.

In practice, is it possible to buy a NAS and set up a simple array that mirrors across the net so that changes I make at my end on my RAID array, are mirrored onto their NAS?

If that's done and assuming they get a Dune too. How could I set up a My Movies account that would work on their iPad down their and catalogue the films on the NAS. It would be a mirror of my collection. Any thoughts? If I have to, I'll bring the NAS back to my place and do a quarterly back up in situ. This may be faster as their broadband is currently limited to 512kbs. (The wilds of Kent - unbelievable).

As I've said I own the discs and I'm mostly interested in a functioning backup set-up. All advice appreciated.

MarkE19

My challenge, is that I'd like to set up a mirrored collection at my parents house, so that if and when I get broken into, my collection is effectively backed up in another location.
No problem with having a backup of your NAS and all the media on it, but.....
I'd also like them to be able to watch the films. As will I when I am down with the folks. I'm not interested in picking a copyright fight as I own all these films and half the discs are at their house half the time already.
For 2 homes to make use of the media then it would be in breach of copyright. You only bought 1 copy of the film and therefore you are only allowed to make use of 1 copy regardless of where the original discs are stored. To do what you want would be no different to you making a physical copy of the DVD for your parents.

But anyway a backup of several Tb of data across the internet would eat up your bandwidth and would take far too long to be a viable option IMO.
Using the following link to make a calculation - Retail cost and time calculator.xls
1000Gb on a 6000kbps broad band connection (note uploads will be a lot slower than downloads) would take something like 231 hours. 40Gb which is approx 1 full BluRay disc rip would take 9 hours.
I get around 1,300kbps upload according to my router so if you get about the same then you need to multiply all my above times by about 5 :eek:

Mark.

willharris10

Fair point.

Thanks Mark!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom