1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Marantz 7200 Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dumfy, Feb 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone,

My Marantz 7200 receiver developed some problems over the weekend and I was wondering if anybody has had similar experience.

A severe noise comes through all speakers when switching between the menus on a disc and also during playback. The noise is difficult to describe, but is horrendous and has a "you're gonna damage your speakers" feel to it.
    Now here's the strange bit....it only does it on Dolby Digital 5.1 When DTS is selected, the sound is perfect. Also, when using Pro-Logic 1 & 2 no sound comes out of the centre speaker - only the fronts and rears. Voice info is fed to to the front left/right instead of the centre.

I've tried connecting the dvd player (Sony 725d multi region) to a different digital input on the receiver to no avail. To be honest, I'm unsure if the problem is with the receiver or the dvd player, but I'm guessing the receiver is the problem due to the Pro-Logic issue. The Pro-Logic problem is the same whether I'm using aTV, VCR or Digi-Box as a source.

I guess the only real way to confirm which is the culprit is to borrow a DVD player and plug it in to the receiver and see if the problem remains.

Have any other Marantz owners out there come across this problem at all?

Any suggestions as to what other checks I can do will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for the help and inputs.

:confused: :confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are a few Marantz owners complaining of various clicks and noises recently so have a look at the other threads on this forum.

I have only had my 6200 for a couple of weeks and so far so good but I haven't really given it a good work out yet.

3. Tuco

Tuco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, i'm still waiting for my sr6200 ( 2 weeks & counting ) when my supplier rang Marantz he was told that they are having manufacturing problems ( wouldn't say what ) & it could be another 2 weeks before they get stock. Clearly, whatever problems are/were present in the US models are showing up here as well. I'm going to wait though, as it looks like a great reciever range when they iron out the niggles.

4. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I have a sr7200

I hear a pop sound on the DVD layer change. Also the audio goes missing at this time for a split second which is also off putting - half way through the film on the layer change. Note the pop gets louder the longer the amp is on also

There is a slight click on menu processing also

Also the sound takes a few seconds to come on - which is also off putting

I have also found the bass output to be alot stronger than my previous Yamaha amp - I have a sub-sat system - which is hard to control - I can't in fact

From another member - had some problems - he is getting a replacement - so I think I will try also to get a replacement

The sound is nice after all of this though - just a shame there are these problems that are distracting enough to think about trying to get a replacement

5. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Thanks for replying and helping out. After doing a search it seems there's problems right across the range - from the 4200 throught to the 7200. All spikes and noises, although mine does seem to be far worse than the others mentioned. Some have problems with DTS, but DD5.1 is fine, whereas mine's the opposite.

I'll get in touch with Marantz and get on to my dealer as well.

Thanks again

Dumfy

:(

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you only get a problem with DD5.1 and DPL I would say you have a knackerd DSP in there. Go back to your dealer and get a replacement.

I have had no problems with my 6200. Sweet as a nut, except for the problem where it takes a little too long to lock onto a digital source. This is most noticable navigating on DVD menus as it has to redetect the input each time and you get a brief dropout.

This problem may be down to my DVD player though. I have been told that if I connected it to a marantz DV6200, the problem would go away.