Major lipsync issue only on live TV

JDXAV

I've the LG-49NANO866NA plugged into a soundbar using HDMI ARC.
I use the TV's built in apps for Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and iPlayer and it works great.
But on the rare occasions I try to watch live TV using the inbuilt tuner, I get massive lip sync issues... The video lags the sound by something crazy like .25 of a second, it's like watching a badly dubbed martial arts film!

My soundbar has settings but to this extent seems silly. Shouldn't the TV driving ARC know it's out of sync?

Extra: I just noticed that when it came to an ad break, the issue went away. As soon as the program started, it came back.

JDXAV

Is this pointing to the TV or soundbar being the issue, is my first question?

JDXAV

It's pointing to whatever programme/channel you were watching.
Well it happens consistently on different programs and different channels. And our other TV - also using built in tuner to output to a surround system via ARC - has no such issues.

So it does sound like something in the signal received is causing issues but it seems more like it's how my devices render it. Catching that it doesn't happen during adverts was interesting - presumably programs are being sent in Dolby or whatever (not very familiar with this stuff) and ads are plain stereo, that sort of thing.

But the question remains, when I have my soundbar connected via ARC which device is responsible for decoding and syncing? Does the TV drive the soundbar or simply dump the input down the HDMI.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Well it happens consistently on different programs and different channels. And our other TV - also using built in tuner to output to a surround system via ARC - has no such issues.
A fact you should have included in your post.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I frequently see lip sync via my LG 49SM8500PLA when watching live TV and other sources. There's no specific pattern, so I suspect that it's a combination of TV and broadcaster. It's worth noting that for C4/More4/E4, etc., there seem to be on-going lip sync and low volumes with those channels due to the recent fire at their play-out centre.

It would be useful to learn which channels are the worst.

JDXAV

A fact you should have included in your post.
You said it was an issue with the broadcaster. I didn't realise when I reported an issue with one TV I had to report every TV it didn't happen on.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDXAV

I frequently see lip sync via my LG 49SM8500PLA when watching live TV and other sources. There's no specific pattern, so I suspect that it's a combination of TV and broadcaster. It's worth noting that for C4/More4/E4, etc., there seem to be on-going lip sync and low volumes with those channels due to the recent fire at their play-out centre.

It would be useful to learn which channels are the worst.
Is this through an external sound system or built-in speakers? I only see it on this specific combination of TV+soundbar... my workaround for live TV is to turn the soundbar off! Which makes me think it's probably the soundbar, though it could be related to the TV's ARC.

I'm pretty sure we didn't have issues on our old TV with the same soundbar back in the days we actually watched a lot of live TV but then that TV didn't support any modern protocols and for all I know the actual broadcast content might be different these days as we're talking nearly 10 years ago.

You're right about about C4 issues though. What a shambles :)

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Soundbar. I never use the internal TV speakers. LG tell me that my soundbar is not compatible. Odd that I had no issues using my old Sony HD TV or my Panasonic 4K unit with it. Older LG TVs running NetOS had a negative lip sync option, apparently.

Next time round it will definitely be a Sony TV again. Reports of lip sync issues with LG TVs are legion. LG knows that it has a problem but can’t be bothered to do anything about it. Not everyone who buys an LG TV has issues, I accept, and of course places like this represent a very small cohort of owners, but there are enough people represented here for LG to get the picture, no pun intended.

JDXAV

Interesting @Clem_Dye, thanks. I could adjust my lipsync but very annoying to have to do so each time I change source; I wonder if some devices let you save presets for each source. If you happen to be watching TV and were able to test the internal speakers I'd be very interested to know if it persists.

I rarely watch broadcast TV - if I did I'd probably have an external Freeview box - it just seems weird it works fine for 'complicated' things like Netflix with all this HDR and Atmos stuff, but not on 'basic' TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom