1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major LCD projector fault

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CommanderSpike, Feb 24, 2005.

1. CommanderSpike

CommanderSpike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After selling my beloved Sony VPL-X1000 projector which worked fine before DHL got their hands on it, the projector is now FOOBAR and the new owner is understandably a bit unhappy at the state of the image quality.

Can anyone recognise what is wrong with it from these photos? I looks like a panel allignment problem to me, although whats strange is that the malaligned colours are in the middle of the screen not the edge. Whites come out worse, with a totally white screen or on the Google home page the problem is most noticable, although its pretty major whatever is showing. Despite the photos, yes it can still display blue, although the green is now overwhelming. Do you think it is fixable guys?

:lease:

Attached Files:

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd say it is indeed FUBAR..... a panel has given up, normally they yellow though due to age and being bombarded with a mini sun, thats LCD I'm afraid, the panels deteriorate over time. Could also be a massive misalignment due to dropping etc.? A technicain can re-align the panels or even change them but the cost of the panels might make you cry......

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fubar is right.............. but

.. it isn't so much the actual LCD panels that give up, in the main it's the blue polariser that gets affected - the organic material that makes up the coating on the polariser deteriorates from the UV in the light..... some makes more prone than others, depending on the polariser itself. This problem doesn't look like usual polariser failure to me - it tends to be gradual. I'd say the optics have been misaligned in a big way - the optical block seems to be ok - you can see that the word "Google" is in sharp enough focus, but the overall green cast sugests that the light path is buggered...... lots of other polarisers and mirrors in there to respond nastily to someone dropping/whatever the projector. A tech could open it up and do a quick investigation.......

Sean G.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep I did mention dropping was probably responsible if it happened all of a sudden. Are the polarisers available as a separate item from the panel set on a Sony? Either way it won't be a five minute fix......

5. CommanderSpike

CommanderSpike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First of all thanks for all the replies.

As the projector was working faultlessly the day before I sent it of via DHL and suddenly the projector was not working as soon as the new owner set it up after reciving it I am tending to take the view that it has been dropped and the optics damaged or misaligned.

The Sony VPLX1000 is a professional model and has a reputation for being very reliable. Problem is - in a case like this where the poor thing has been mistreated - obviously the outer magnesium casing is a lot stronger than whats inside, and as far as I know the strong cardboard box it was packed in is not damaged either. Therefore there is no physical damage or other solid evidence that it has been dropped. Will this effect my ability to claim on the DHL insurance do you think? :rolleyes:

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Best of luck.....
    I would say however that dropping it on a corner would show on the box but just dropping it flat on top of another box or to the floor wouldn't show damage but would certianly shake up the insides...... DHL are normally pretty good, talk to them and see where it leads before getting all negative....

7. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I was the reciepient

The box has definately been slid on its top across the floor as the address label is dirty and worn. The corners are not flatened but by no means are they untouched. My intuition says this was slammed down flat and thats what did the damage, that or being thrown into the back of a van, skidding along the floor and slamming into another parcel.

I was interested to note that the problem is very simlar to the issue someone else has noted with an HS50 but MUCH MUCH worse. I have also noticed a ticking inside like something loose and the colour will switch between the patterns below at random intervals.

The pics are taken from the THX Optimizer program on Finding Nemo (which should be 4 blocks of white, changing the type of input i.e. from Video to Input1/2 (D connector) makes no difference :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MB

8. CommanderSpike

CommanderSpike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Turned out in the end that it was just a broken bulb.

The back had sheered off the bulb. A new bulb and it was fine!