• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Major issue with HD installation and dreadful customer service

goalc

Standard Member
Hi, I hope that someone can help....

My parents had Sky+ HD installed last Friday (it was an Amstrad box - is this the usual make or should they have had a Pace one installed?) , and they still are not getting any HD service or the ability to record one channel whilst watching another. It seems that the engineer never tested the installation to check it all worked and they could receive the premium channels and HD, and everytime they phone Sky they get told that it hasnt been installed yet and that someone will call back the same day. This has been going on since last Friday and no-one seems to want to help and no-one ever calls back.

Can anyone suggest what to do, as Sky refuse to give a managers name and every time my parents phone Sky, they have to go through the same questions and dont get anywhere. My parents are ready to throw the box out of the window!!

It seems that the engineer never checked the installation, and I presume as part of this he should have registered that it had been installed? Could it be this that is causing the problem ?

Any help/advice you can give will be much appreciated !

Broadz

Distinguished Member
You've got 28 days to cancel without paying a penny. Phone Sky, cancel HD, when asked why say because you expected to be able to watch high definition television and record programmes to watch later, neither of which your Sky HD installation is capable of. They should send round an engineer pretty quickly...

Simon3119

Established Member
I presume the engineer left some sort of paperwork, so if he did, photocopy it and send it recorded delivery to Sky with a letter stating the fact that they are not happy with the installation and that if the matter is not resolved then you will take them to the small claims court to pay for the cost of putting the house back to the state it was before the "install."

Be polite in the letter but be firm about what you want resolving.

If they do phone Sky, always ask for the operators name and make a note of it along with the time and a basic list of what the conversation is about. Also tell the operator that you are making notes, this normally gets them to make sure that what they tell you is the truth and not just some lies to get you off the phone.

Hope they get it sorted.

nobby1963

Established Member
Hi, I hope that someone can help....

My parents had Sky+ HD installed last Friday (it was an Amstrad box - is this the usual make or should they have had a Pace one installed?) , and they still are not getting any HD service or the ability to record one channel whilst watching another. It seems that the engineer never tested the installation to check it all worked and they could receive the premium channels and HD, and everytime they phone Sky they get told that it hasnt been installed yet and that someone will call back the same day. This has been going on since last Friday and no-one seems to want to help and no-one ever calls back.

Can anyone suggest what to do, as Sky refuse to give a managers name and every time my parents phone Sky, they have to go through the same questions and dont get anywhere. My parents are ready to throw the box out of the window!!

It seems that the engineer never checked the installation, and I presume as part of this he should have registered that it had been installed? Could it be this that is causing the problem ?

Any help/advice you can give will be much appreciated !

I would suggest an email to;= [email protected]

He`s the top honcho and will normally get a minion to respond very quickly.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

True Romance

Distinguished Member
You've got 28 days to cancel without paying a penny. Phone Sky, cancel HD, when asked why say because you expected to be able to watch high definition television and record programmes to watch later, neither of which your Sky HD installation is capable of. They should send round an engineer pretty quickly...

what he said.

turbohat

Established Member
Sounds maybe that the engineer didnt pair the box and card?

When I moved to SkyHD from + the box monkey didnt do this and I had to ring up to pair them as Pause, rewind, FF etc didn't work, nor did sports or moves. Worked fine afterwards

Mark0409mr01

Established Member
When I had my HD installed the installation engineer put his name/mobile number in the back of the manual supplied with the HD box.

He advised if there were any problems to contact him directly using those details.

Check this and if they are there call the engineer directly and he should come back out to fix whatever is causing the problem.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
When I had my HD installed the installation engineer put his name/mobile number in the back of the manual supplied with the HD box.

He advised if there were any problems to contact him directly using those details.

That's because he was a real Sky engineer - and it appears as a bad mark against him if the customer contacts Sky directly about something not working properly, whereas if the customer contacts him first he can get out there and get whatever the problem is fixed without Sky needing to know - and he doesn't then get a bad mark.

Sounds like the OP's installation was done by a subbie - who won't give a monkey's about a bad mark being put against the company he works for - because that company isn't Sky. Therefore, he won't have left a direct number to be contacted on - because his company won't make any more money out of Sky if he has to go back and make good anything he didn't do properly first time around.

Last edited:

Ivor_Biggern

Established Member

Exactly the same with me, the sky engineer was spot on, he couldn`t have been any more helpful if he tried.

Dr Evilest

Established Member
Exactly the same with me, the sky engineer was spot on, he couldn`t have been any more helpful if he tried.

And me, most of the sky engineers are very good & competent.:smashin:

I'd also go along with the advice given so far: first step phone cancellations, no joy? then email Jeremy Darroch.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
Just go to Sky's website, find their Complaints Procedure (it will be there, they have to have one by law, just search hard) and follow it. That way, once its sorted, you get the maximum amount of compensation for your troubles and they cant argue that you didnt give them a chance.

If you dont follow the complaints procedure and just cancel, they can levy a nice fat ETF on you. You have to give them the opportunity (but in a way thats recorded as proof) to resolve your query. Unfortunately, Sky, like BT, have a habit of losing notes on accounts and recorded calls. Deal with them only by email, fax or (not recommended atm due to strikes) RECORDED delivery post. I personally recommend email because not just the sending of the email is noted but the contents too :)

(ps. I work for a company that has to deal with this kind of thing and if you dont follow complaints procedure and just cancel, they can levy an ETF and take you in to court to get it. Not scaremongering, my manager just went in to court last week and a customer who tried to dip out without going through the procedure was told to hand over the £320 he owed us plus our legal fees)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom