• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Major HTC Hero problem...

Per156GTA

OK - I have a HTC Hero, but it has packed in on me - been having a headache with it for a while - long story short - phone was on Android 1.5. Orange haven't released an Over the Air upgrade to Android 2.1, but HTC have it on their site, I upgraded a few months ago, but it has been very problematic. Biggest problem was that when you plugged the charger in to the port on the bottom, on unplugging, the phone went in to 'headphone connected' mode - there is a 3.5mm jack, so phone was assuming the power charger was headphone - usually took 6+ attempts at switching off/pulling battery out etc. Recently phone froze following re-charge. Called HTC. They advised a hard reset - talked me through what to do, but phone froze completely - they arranged to pick it up so it could go back to base for check. Email today - work is not covered by warranty - phone needs Motherboard and LCD replacement, plus full plastic refurbishment - total cost £319.13

Where do I stand - it was a HTC over the air upgrade to Android 2.1, it was one of their engineers who guided me through the hard reset which failed, now they say MB and LCD needs replacing - LCD was unmarked when I shipped to them (they supplied the shipping note and I wrapped the phone in plenty of bubble wrap and a padded enveloppe).

I think that if I hadn't been asked to do the hard reset, phone might have eventually come back to life.

I have 6 months on my contract with Orange and I must have my number - its my business number as well, and Orange won't let me port the old number to a new Orange contract - I can port from another operator to Orange or from Orange to one of the others, but not Orange to Orange

I need a new phone and need to keep my number - do I go for an iphone4 or should I go for the HTC Desire HD (nothing against HTC despite the problems with the Hero - just the Hero was a pile of poo despite all the early rave reviews).

Desire does come out on top in reviews over the iphone 4, and is cheaper to get, but Orange seem to have the market sewn up - is that unfair to current customers??

Thoughts?

Per

Per156GTA

Turns out that when HTCs engineers took the phone apart, they advised that the LCD had had water damage.........................

Back in the begining of August, I was out cycling with my kids and we got caught in a heavy shower - phone did get wet, so I dried it out by plugging the charger for 24+ hours.

All worked fine, phone has been OK, up until the time that the chap at HTC 'guided' me though the hard reset following which it crashed.

If the phone had been wet in the past, how come it was working fine between begining of August and last week?

The problem with the phone has come about following the 2.1 update and the fact that the phone was getting stuck in 'headphone inserted' mode, when there were none inserted - clearly a bug or issue with Android 2.1 with my Hero.

Now HTC want £23 from me to post it back to me - there is nothing in any email from them advising that there would be a return cost - yes an engineer has had to take the phone apart to see the 'damage', but I never agreed to there being a cost that I should pay - where do I stand?

If they send the phone back, is there any likelihood that I might get it working again,or is it fit for the bin only?

HTC say its not covered by warranty - but my 12th month of contract ends 19th December, so still within the 12 month warranty from HTC.

They say 'water damage is not covered', but we live in England, it rains, phones get wet, dry out and then work again. The biggest failure is from the operating system.

Where do I stand? Have spoken with HTC today, but the chap I spoke with was useless and when I asked to speak with the supervisor or manager - guess what - 'sorry they are not here right now' - what a surprise.

If HTC can't make a phone that survives English weather, then why are they supplying phones to the UK?

Comments please so I know how to take this forward. Not happy with HTC right now over this issue.

Cheers

Per

Last edited:

Ayub

Distinguished Member
OK - I have a HTC Hero, but it has packed in on me - been having a headache with it for a while - long story short - phone was on Android 1.5. Orange haven't released an Over the Air upgrade to Android 2.1, but HTC have it on their site, I upgraded a few months ago, but it has been very problematic. Biggest problem was that when you plugged the charger in to the port on the bottom, on unplugging, the phone went in to 'headphone connected' mode - there is a 3.5mm jack, so phone was assuming the power charger was headphone - usually took 6+ attempts at switching off/pulling battery out etc. Recently phone froze following re-charge. Called HTC. They advised a hard reset - talked me through what to do, but phone froze completely - they arranged to pick it up so it could go back to base for check. Email today - work is not covered by warranty - phone needs Motherboard and LCD replacement, plus full plastic refurbishment - total cost £319.13

Where do I stand - it was a HTC over the air upgrade to Android 2.1, it was one of their engineers who guided me through the hard reset which failed, now they say MB and LCD needs replacing - LCD was unmarked when I shipped to them (they supplied the shipping note and I wrapped the phone in plenty of bubble wrap and a padded enveloppe).

I think that if I hadn't been asked to do the hard reset, phone might have eventually come back to life.

I have 6 months on my contract with Orange and I must have my number - its my business number as well, and Orange won't let me port the old number to a new Orange contract - I can port from another operator to Orange or from Orange to one of the others, but not Orange to Orange

I need a new phone and need to keep my number - do I go for an iphone4 or should I go for the HTC Desire HD (nothing against HTC despite the problems with the Hero - just the Hero was a pile of poo despite all the early rave reviews).

Desire does come out on top in reviews over the iphone 4, and is cheaper to get, but Orange seem to have the market sewn up - is that unfair to current customers??

Thoughts?

Per

The headphones/carger is a KNOWN FAULT. google it there was a fix for this, i cant remember where i think xda developers
How was it water damaged? When you sent it off did you look at the simcard section 9 white spot) was is white or another colour?

I suggest a stern polite letter informing them of the faults. Your issue is with orange not htc.

elgorm

you can buy a hero for less that £100 brand new so dont pay to get it fixed.

You could get a Desire for around £250 brand new.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom