Major hifi update help ?

Shuffler1234

Standard Member
Reaction score
6461A454-4673-4ACC-B5D3-07AAF18FC92C.jpeg
Hi all, I’ve just joined and feel a bit of an old dumbo amongst you all but need some guidance. I’m here in UK.
I have a dusty 30yr old Sony system (pictures attached hopefully) and want to upgrade without too much expense. I think the speakers are fine (sound good enough for me), the turntable works fine but happy to replace if necessary, the 5caddy CD unit works fine but happy to change to single, the twin cassette player doesn’t turn so maybe the drive/belt gone and I guess not needed anymore, the fm radio just has a wire aerial and bad reception so no good, the amp is OK but a bit of hum sometimes and I think powers the other items through ribbon cables - that’s where I am now !
I would like a new cd/radio unit, I guess with amp, digital/internet/dab (don’t know much about these) that may work with the existing turntable(?) and speakers(?) or should I throw all away and start again - budget was to be £400-500 but may have to go higher - for just a small lounge at home.
Would really appreciate some prompts on way to go - many thanks

Attachments

• 4C109E0A-734F-47EA-A167-FE90441B0CEE.jpeg
    4C109E0A-734F-47EA-A167-FE90441B0CEE.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 69
Hi

Assuming you have sensitive speakers, one of these covers all of your bases, apart from the turntable, which can be easily sorted with a cheap, external phono stage.

Hi

Assuming you have sensitive speakers, one of these covers all of your bases, apart from the turntable, which can be easily sorted with a cheap, external phono stage.

My gosh thanks acgingersnaps ! One of these just showed up by coincidence on my laptop probably as result of a cookie when searching, and you’ll never believe this …. I just knocked on door of my local RicherSounds shop in Eton a bit before their 11am opening time, a chap came to the door so I said I would go back at a more convenient time when open - this does look the business unit for me !!!

They're cracking units, assuming your speakers are easy to drive.

They're cracking units, assuming your speakers are easy to drive.
When you say “assuming speakers are easy to drive” what should I be knowing ? I guess re the turntable, if I can’t get the Sony one to work off the marantz I could get another that would easily? Another dumb question I guess, but how does the marantz tuner gets its signal ? Aerial/WiFi/other ??

Conventional aerial and wifi.

What speakers do you have?

My speakers are original Sony ones that came with the pictured setup - I need to check their detail a bit more but they sound good still ! This 412 Marantz has DAB radio for which I may need a decent aerial I appreciate - there seems to be a 612 that has internet radio but £200+ more is it worth considering - but anyway is in short supply at the moment.

Should come with an indoor aerial. Another worth looking at is the Denon DM41. Same sort of machine.

Worth talking with the sales staff about building a system for you.

I wouldn't place much faith in those old sony speakers in the long run. Certainly worth keeping for the minute to ensure decent spends on s new unit.

When you say “assuming speakers are easy to drive” what should I be knowing ?
Your speaker sensitivity. I imagine they'll be fine, given they came as part of a unit.

I wouldn't go for the 612, personally. There are better options at that price. You'd be getting into seperates territory. If you like Internet radio you can just run it on your phone and and use the units bluetooth.

wouldn't place much faith in those old sony speakers in the long run. Certainly worth keeping for the minute to ensure decent spends on s new unit.
I agree. I had a Technics midi hifi for years. I thought that the speakers were fine. Then I got some Q Acoustics 2020i and even these budget speakers blew the technics ones out of the water.

The Denon certainly gets very good reviews and is cheaper - I just googled one v other and got an old thread here asking pretty much the same q and they plumped for a package with two speakers, still cheaper than the 412 on its own - never easy to decide but certainly brilliant and much appreciated advice from you all

I recently bought a sinus beam sound bar for my tv and will be fitting this in the next week - can the hifi unit plumb into that effectively, rather than separate speakers, or best keep apart? The Q acoustic speakers mentioned look good, would they be better than those in the Denon package - sorry to be like this and guess it comes down a lot to my (aging!) hearing

Error, sorry.

Just saying...

Are the QA3020 the last word in speakers? No. However, they're well balanced and sound great. Especially at £130. IMHO, QA have the sub £200 end of the market nailed.

Thanks all for info, learnt a lot today and focussing in on what I want … I think !
The suggested Audio Tech turntable looks good.
I wonder how different the QA3020 are to the QA3020i, £50 between but higher freq response on the ‘I’ - will I hear difference ?? Guessing these would be better than the Denon ones supplied with Denon packages
On the main unit front, have seen reviews on the Denon dc41 having failing CD doors but otherwise a much better price compared to the Marantz.
Ready to buy when decisions made, want the best to last quite a few years ….

@Shuffler1234 Great journey ahead ;)
Something to have in mind..
Cheap electronics lose their value and need replacing while a bit better parts last longer and stay relevant longer.
So if you invest eg in better speakers, they should still be ok in 20 years to listen to or even to re-sell..
I know you plan is to stop at £500, but have a listen at systems for up to £1000 as well! There might just be that you won't like them better, then £500 will feel ever more well spent :)

Would go for this myself if it's going to be a keeper - Yamaha RN602 & Q Acoustics 3020

No CD player, but they can be gotten for cheap 2nd hand quite easily. Will power much better speakers if you were to ever upgrade as well.

Trying to make my mind up, and just been told of some really good package deals at the moment from one supplier who have been very helpful without being pushy … to consider a Denon RCD-N11 with Q Acoustics 3021i speakers - has internet radio built in as well (even though there is suggestion I can Bluetooth from phone anyway) - out of the equations so far a pretty good £’s/features even if just a small tad more than the others. Any comments on this unit ??

This is a great option:

Seperate amp and CD sections and, if you add the Yamaha you get streaming. All for a shade under £600. The system above will sound great for the money anz will be easy to upgrade, if you wanted to, because you can just do individual sections.

For a nice all-in-one system how about:

Plus perhaps a CD player if you really still want one instead of using a streaming service.

@Shuffler1234 - it looks like you've been bombarded with a wide range of different opinions/options and you need to establish exactly what you're after with your prospective purchases. I would suggest you first need to explore some of the suggestions made with a local dealer to try to find a way through the minefield and narrow down your options.
I would also suggest that if you're happy with the sound of your current speakers then just concentrate on getting an all in one CD/amp/radio as per the initial posts. However, if you want a complete change then most dealers will bundle speakers into the deal with substantial discounts. And I assume you're just sticking with CDs and radio for the present but you may want to get into streaming your music which could significantly modify your requirements. Decisions, decisions!

Would go for this myself if it's going to be a keeper - Yamaha RN602 & Q Acoustics 3020

No CD player, but they can be gotten for cheap 2nd hand quite easily. Will power much better speakers if you were to ever upgrade as well.
I had that system it was a belter, if it wasn’t for upgraditis I’d be listening to it now and can certainly recommend 🤦🏻

Time to report back on what has been decided/happened !!!
Thoroughly appreciate all help & advice from you all this week, and how much more up-to-date I am now and more towards what would do the trick for me.
Met a 'hifi' friend on Thursday and had a chat through everything that has been proposed and we popped into a couple of stores to listen to how some systems sounded/looked/availability and sales talk ! Another consideration became going for a more compact size-wise requirement for space at home ! Cost me a lot of beers for my mate !
Anyway, he said his brother-in law worked at a sound system outlet up north and would get me a really special deal so I put my life into their hands ....and cutting a lot of conversations short, I have now actually obtained the following system for a vastly reduced price deal - some of this may cut across the previous advice just a tad but we have moved forward ..
I now have:
  • a new Marantz M-CR612 (with internet radio and other gizmo stuff) in silver/gold !! (for less than the 412 price I'm chuffed to say)
  • a pair of ex demo Q Acoustic 2030i speakers in walnut with full guarantee !!!
Got it all plugged in and very pleased - the old Sony system has been given to a friend who accumulates a lot of old gear !
I am in an 'anti' electrical gear in the common black nowadays since had too much of it for years even though these are in most supply, wanting a bit of colour/brightness now.
Fingers crossed it will have been wise enough, but pricewise it hasn't stung as much as expected.
This now brings me on to a replacement turntable, sooner than I expected, as I gave the old Sony system away with the rest, and what a nightmare trying to choose here ! The usual endless looking on line at specs/price/availability etc etc.
So, if any advice it would be most welcome - here's my thinking..
  • want a reasonable brand and spec, believe I need USB connection as well as phono ? Do I need/good to have Bluetooth ?? (but this can be an additional add on unit I think if required ?)
  • don't want black finish(!!) maybe silver (or silver with bit of black) or am even liking the wood ones ! Grey or white could be considered as a long shot !
  • not sure if most come with a decent needle/cartridge or should be considered as needing to fit a better one ?
  • budget was going to be up to 250, but after going round in circles online would be willing to go up to 500 for a really surer bet !!
  • been looking at brands Audio Technica, Teac, Riga&Pro-Ject ! or should I even consider a good secondhand (ebay ?) unit ??
Must have bored you all if you have managed to get here - so will stop here for now - if any turntable thoughts this would be greatly appreciated - it seems another minefield area with no clear winners !!! Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom