• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Majik - Losing sound in one channel

frankieD

Standard Member
Linn Majik is losing the sound in one channel - if I switch the amp off and back on and the sound returns straight away, then fades out again after about a minute. Any idea what the problem is?

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Frankie...welcome to the forums.

How old is the Majik,and is it still covered by warranty?

If so, given the symptoms you've described,you should return it to a dealer.

I assume you've checked to ensure there are no shorts or other connection issues which would explain the fault.

frankieD

Standard Member
Thanks Alex.
Not sure how old the amp is as I got it second hand, but it is out of warrenty.
Swapping the speaker leads over transfers the problem to the other speaker, so that seems to point to the problam being the amp, but I don't know about checking for shorts.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Thanks Alex.
Not sure how old the amp is as I got it second hand, but it is out of warrenty.
Swapping the speaker leads over transfers the problem to the other speaker, so that seems to point to the problam being the amp, but I don't know about checking for shorts.

OK...thats definitely localised it to the offending channel.

You really need an engineer now to sort out where the problem lies.....your local Linn dealer would be a start,but not neccessarily the cheapest option.

linnite

I reckon the amp channel is rapidly getting hot and then the thermal cutout is operating.

Not that that helps, because you are no nearer knowing the casuse of why that is happening.

Linn used to repair any item irrespective of the size of the problem, for £150. Maybe that's still a lot of money but if you are out of warranty then at least you could get the repair done knowing what the bill will be.

Check with a Linn dealer.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom