Maintenance / Service charges..

Dave Bartram

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea on this please: :)

Moved into a new 1 bed flat (new development) last June, I've just had my first bill for the maintenance / service charges. The issue is that I also have 3 mates who also live in the same development. My bill was for £537 (6 months) 1 mate who is also in a 1 bed flat bill is £250 and another 2 bed flat with undercroft parking is £470. The 3rd mate lives above me and has a bill for the same amount as me. As far as I can see I'm not getting anything extra for the extra amount I'm being charged and the only difference is the amount of flats in each building, 2 in mine, 4 flats (£470 charge) 6 flats (£250 charge) so understand that the bill is probably divided by the number of flats.

I have emailed the maintenance company and got this response (see below).

Does the charges sound reasonable? Any advice.

Cheers

"Dear Bartram,

Further to you recent conversation the reason that you could be paying more on the charges than any other resident could be as the property that you live in is can be the size of the property that you live in and also the way the properties are laid out.

Kind Regards

Matt

Matt Kelly"

When I lived in a flat I'm pretty sure everyone paid the same 30something quid a month service charge. It didn't matter if you had a 1 bed or 2 bed flat & the buildings were of differing shapes/sizes. I'd say this is totally unfair, however your legal documentation should specify exactly what the costs are.

You should ask them to show you a copy of the accounts. I believe they have to show exactly how the charges are comprised so you should be able to see what you are being charged for.

My house is in a managed area, and there are different rates for the different properties. The flats get charged the most, then the couple of masonettes, and then the houses. But the management company always get the figures wrong and try to charge house owners for things that are related purely to the flats.

If you've typed up their response as you received it, then it's very poorly worded and makes very little sense. Keep on at them to explain the charges properly.

Dear Bartram,

Further to you recent conversation the reason that you could be paying more on the charges than any other resident could be as the property that you live in is can be the size of the property that you live in and also the way the properties are laid out.

Kind Regards

Matt

Matt Kelly"

That's the worst written response i've seen in while, and i work for local government. I attended a meeting with a management agency recently and was shocked at how amateurish their whole setup was. Keep pesturing until you get some sort of a breakdown of maintenance cost.

I'm in a managed housing estate as well, its common for new builds as the council won't take responsibilty until everything is built and proven to be built proper i.e. the roads are laid proper and won't crumble at the first frost unlike the roads the council lays.

Our management company provides a breakdown with the charge to show how much is being charged for what and the area you are being charged for. Good thing is is that this company even cuts the front lawns and tidys the rosemary under my front window before winter sets in.

Ask them for a full breakdown, if the charge is to do with size of flat then they should have a standard charge per sq or similar system to ensure fairness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom