1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintaining Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Spazwunkle, May 30, 2004.

1. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heyhey all

Need an answer fairly quickly

For final uni project I've done an animated short. But the problem its in widescreen format, and iDVD at uni automatically stretches the picture to fill 4:3.

So, is there a DVD writing program that will maintain aspect ratio when creating a DVD? Which also includes menu creation etc.

Also needs to be on a budget (I am a student afterall :))

Anyone help?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    www.tmpgenc.net

Freeware conversion program for converting video files (of various types) to mpeg for VCD and DVD.

AFAIK, you can only use the mpeg2 converter for 30 days (as a trial) before having to pay for it. mpeg1 converter is unlimited.

mpeg 2 is used for DVDs. mpeg1 is used for VCDs.

As part of the conversion process, you can ask the software to reformat the video stream, adding "letterboxing" (for 16x9 etc. material) if you wish.

3. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you take these mpeg2 files to idvd, will they be readable?

I saw on the internet that you need to go through Quicktime Pro and convert them. But if you convert them, are they still going to be widescreen format? Or is it going to fill the screen?