• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Mains power lead for TV

Paul97

Hi,

We have just purchased a new 60" TV and hung it on the wall and the better half wanted all the visible cables bundled together so it looked neater. I'm sure the power cable has had some affect on the picture quality, would I be right and is there a reasonable priced shielded power lead I could buy.

Cheers

Paul

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
No. The cable will not affect the quality at all unless it's damaged, leaving you with no picture.

£5 from eBay or make one yourself from b&q.

Paul97

Thanks for the reply Rock Danger, when you say "make one yourself from b&q" are you talking about standard cable?

Cheers

Paul

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply Rock Danger, when you say "make one yourself from b&q" are you talking about standard cable?

Cheers

Paul

Hey Paul,

Yep just 2 or 3 core mains cable with an IEC connector. If you wanna be fancy you could put on a ferrite core ring closer to the TV end of it, but typically mains cables are basic made in china standard mains core that you'd get on your kettle, hence the term 'kettle lead'

The only important thing is that the cable is thick enough to bear the load of a TV (bout 300w) and you fuse it with whatever it has in it now (probably 5-10 amp)

I have to do the same thing as you for my new projector, it's 3 grand something and I'll probably just make it up myself. If someone tries to sell or convince you of a fancy mains cable giving a better picture, reach out and slap them.

westie86

Novice Member
Hi,

We have just purchased a new 60" TV and hung it on the wall and the better half wanted all the visible cables bundled together so it looked neater. I'm sure the power cable has had some affect on the picture quality, would I be right and is there a reasonable priced shielded power lead I could buy.

Cheers

Paul
Yes I got one off Amazon think it was about £20

Yes I got one off Amazon think it was about £20

Did you not read the earlier replies (which were accepted as being helpful by the OP) that a screened mains cable is pointless; and that suggestions that it is necessary to pay more than about £5 for a suitable cable should be treated with derision ?

westie86

Novice Member
Did you not read the earlier replies (which were accepted as being helpful by the OP) that a screened mains cable is pointless; and that suggestions that it is necessary to pay more than about £5 for a suitable cable should be treated with derision ?
No I didn't read them.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom