1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mains Power cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Robst, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Robst

Robst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thought I'd run this one past you.

I have been interestingly reading a number of articles and reviews of Mains Cables, Filters, Noise Suppressors etc. and must admit to being quite interested in this.

The fact that a piece of wire can pick up unwanted radio signals and then feed them into the equipment, thus causing some distortion and loss of performance, does make sense to me.

I would primarily be looking at changing the lead on my Turntable (primary stereo source), DVD and AV Amp. I believe that reducing the RFI from the source reaps the greatest benefit.

There are a great many RFI sheilded leads etc. out there now and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using these.

Cheers
    Rob

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are a multitude of threads in general chat relating to this. Go and have a search there for info.

Personally, i changed on an amp a while back and noticed very very limited improvement. Not really audible though. Perhaps higer end gear or more sensitive devices like yours would benefit more.

ad

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robst, you'll no doubt get as many advocates as you do non-believers posting in a thread about any cables (mains maybe even more than others) but from my experience, I have found the relatively inexpensive RA YellO power cables to make a difference when swapping out the freebie cables.

This does tend to be much more noticeable with AV sources (Sky box, DVD player) where you really can see the difference, rather than hi fi amps though, where I'm positive the difference is marginal at best.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I use the Yello cables, not sure that they make much difference but they didn't cost that much and they look nice. Its all relative, I spent £1000 on a DVD player so I'm not going to worry about £25 for a power cable for it.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sources definitely would be where the improvement would be greatest. However, the hifi amp is something that can benefit too, my power amp loves a braided cable construction, the transformer noise is much decreased hence low level listening is much enhanced. Likewise the tubs in my pre are keen on having as little interference as possible. But the differences are less than a source, that i agree.

Ad

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with Jeff on this point. Even if you bought a whole raft of YellOs just to make the cable spaghetti look nicer it's a wise use of money in my book.

Again, if you're spending a good couple of grand on your HC set-up, why not pay a little percentage of that for the possible improvements something like the YellOs will provide?

As far as mains noise clear up goes, I can definitely recommend The Silencer from Russ Andrews. I have two, one for my AV and one for my Hi Fi systems and without a shadow of a doubt these items DO what they say on the tin.

Think of it this way, for £40 you can buy one, plug it in next to your TV, amp, DVD player, Sky Box and VCR and potentially improve performance of ALL of them in one go. That works out at about £8 per item for an improvement - bargain;)