Mains Power Cables And Silver Fuses.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by GYRODEC1, Feb 4, 2009.

1. GYRODEC1

GYRODEC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello all my fellow hifi enthusiasts.

There has been a lot of debate whether power cables do improve the sound quality of hifi equipment.

I recently picked up a VDH Mainsstream BS Hybrid cable very cheap on Ebay, as I've been after one of these for a couple of years but they were just to damn expensive. After plugging it into my Power amplifier the sound was just amazing.

Before I bought the Mainsstream I was just using the cheap and bog standard cable that came with the amp. But this new cable has tightened up the midrange,improved clarity and increased dynamics no end and I am very pleased indeed.

I now know that cables do improve the sound, but what I'm really interests me is, do these new silver fuses which are costing between £25 -£35 a pop really worth it!

Do these silver fuses by Furutech or Hifi Tuning really improve the sound of your sound system or is it just a gimmick to get more cash out of us?

Let me know your experiences.

Thanks
    :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    For others reading this thread please remember the golden rule : what matters is what you hear yourself, do not spend a lot of money on products based on what others hear, always demo with your own equipment or buy on sale or return for this type of product.

When replying please do not tell the OP what he can or cannot hear, perception is everything in this sort of situation but feel free to express your own experiences with similar equipment.

3. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Without repeating all that's ever been said about this argument. I would just ask you to say 'believe', not 'know'.

As to the fuses, the only way I can imagine they could improve things is if they somehow reduce the resistance of a regular fuse to improve conductivity a significant amount. For such a short length of wire, I really doubt this is possible or necessary. Is there any decent research to the contrary?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
  5. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Joe those tips look awesome I'm gonna try all of those today!!!!!!11111oneoneone :thumbsup::clap:

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hi Ben

I'm guessing you missed all the fun back in the 80's when HiFi shops were having to do demo's of system with and without PWB foil treatments!!!

Oh happy days :rotfl:

Joe

7. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :eek: That actually happened?

8. GYRODEC1

GYRODEC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi guys,

I just like to know whether any of you have had experience of using these extremely expensive silver fuses in your mains pwr cables to improve sound quality as so they say?

Cheers

:D

9. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    To the OP. If you believe that you can perceive an improvement by using a different mains lead, the I'm fairly sure you will also believe that you can perceive an improvement by using an esoterically named fuse. For an explanation of how this works, see here.
    Psychoacoustics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Ben - Oh yes!!!

GYRODEC1 - folk will swear blind that all sorts of stuff makes a difference. The only way to know if it works for you is to buy some and try them out.

Joe

11. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    GYRODEC1 Can't say I've tried the fuse thing yet, but I have wondered about it....

Along the power lines, in the mean time, have you tried changing your mains outlet socket to an MK unswitched socket? Must say I was quite supprised, I did not expect any change but ;)

12. GYRODEC1

GYRODEC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Deafcat,

No. I prefer to have switches on my mains outlet sockets, as I feel safer when I want to switch it off at the mains when pulling out the plug.

Talking about, audiophile graded silver fuses. I would never dream of spending that kind of money. But I am interested to know whether you or any of the guys here have experimented with these fuses and do they really improve the sound of your sound system, or is just one big con?

Cheers

:D

13. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    GYRODEC1- As Mark and Joe have both said, you will not get a useful answer from anyone on an internet forum. Many of us will deny that there can possibly be any noticable difference to the sound eventually leaving your speakers, whilst others will claim their ill mothers were suddenly revived when the soothing music in her bedroom was improved by changing them over. Personally I'm in the 'you're wasting your time and money' camp, but since I think you've already done that with your mains cable, why not go the whole hog - you've nothing more to lose! :)

The only way is for you to try them yourself, and see what your brain decides it believes. You've already decided that the mains cables made a difference, so I suspect you will also feel the fuse changes something, slightly. And I bet it'll be something in the HF region. 'Crispening' or some other such adjective.

14. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    HeHe :)

I would guess they doo make a difference but as to how much, only the one who tries, will know.

I was thinking if you hear a difference on changing to a non switched p.p. your likely to hear a difference in the silver fuse....:confused:
    Removing the switch, improving a fuse.......

Let us know what it sounds like, if you get one on ebay:D

DC