Mains Networking RF Interference

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by graystreet, Jan 30, 2009.

1. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Interesting read.

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    This has been discussed ad infinitum on other BBS. It appears that this is group (at one time I thought of just one) who are specifically complaining about the Comtrend UPA adapter supplied by BT with BT Vision.

In my opinion if they think that some one is breaking the law and can't get any of the regulatory bodies to agree with them, then they should take that party to court in their own right. They must be able to afford it because they say that they are a large group. (I have my own opinion on that.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Powerline adapters usually implement something called "notching" - in other words, certain frequencies, like those used by HAM Radio are notched out i.e. not used.

this is actually selectable on some adapters in the software utility (advanced settings) - both DS2 and Intellon do this, its just whether the manufacturer includes it, or just defaults it to "on"

if theres any issue with it not being implemented properly I suspect that the comtrend supplied BT devices have custom firmware and somewhow this isnt working properly - so basically, its specific to those devices, rather than powerline in general