1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mains lead for sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sceptic, Sep 25, 2002.

1. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've read in these extremely informative forums that the performance of my Paradigm PDR10 sub would improve if I changed the supplied mains lead.
    Can anyone advise me what lead would give a discernable improvement and where I can buy it.

I don't want to go to Russ Andrews and pay £25 for no improvement. This happened with their 4-way extension. :mad:

cheers

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Hi

Forum member Stranger (Ken) had a kettle lead on his Paradigm sub, seemed to be an improvement over the standard one. Not tried it myself though! Looking into mains cables etc at the moment.:)

3. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Jase

A silly question - where can I buy a kettle lead?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    www.maplin.co.uk or I would imagine any High street retailer like Dixons etc

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sceptic.

Homebase sell kettle leads.

Adzman

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what improvements you are looking for!

Personally I suspect you'll find it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, unless there is something physically wrong with the one you already have. However, a standard kettle lead is only a few quid, so if you don't get any improvements, you've not really lost very much if you decide to try one.
    Nick the one off your kettle first and see if it makes any difference (if you have a kettle with an IEC lead that is)

If you have any real problems with your mains, there are usually real world solutions, without having to resort to hocus pocus :)
    In most cases though, there really isn't any problem in the first place - no surprise then that the cures have no effect!

7. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Tried a lead from a spare kettle and, to my amazement, an improvement that was discernible to two people in a blind test.

I've always been sceptical of claims for improvments with leads, cables, etc. so this has surprised me.
    The bass seems tighter and less boomy.

Maybe I can experiment further and convince myself that it's worth paying Russ Andrews £25 for a lead.

Anyway, I'm pleased with my cheap upgrade :D

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha!! mine too!! :) :)

Are the connectors on the "new" lead cleaner/shinier than the old one, and did it seem a tighter fit when you pushed it home?

Whether it really makes any difference in the end or not, I still keep all my connections clean and tight where possible!
    It doesn't cost anything, and I really can't see it could possibly do any harm!
    As a consequence, I've never really used dirty/oxidised/loose etc connections, so I can't really say whether keeping them clean makes much (if any) difference - however, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence around that suggests it might - and as it's easy and free to do....then why not?

As for your new lead - well you've got what you feel is an improvement for free (or very cheap) - end of story!!
    There's quite a few people who believe that RA power leads offer a discernible improvement too - in my experience they don't, but remember that's only one opinion from a sea of them out there, and I've not tried one on every conceivable piece of equipment in 000s of different homes!

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Kettle Leads

I also remember reading somewhere, possibly in RA's Power & the Glory brochure, that simply changing the fuses for 13A ones can improve clarity.

I gained greater picture & sound detail from my TV by chopping off the old lead and adding an RA Yellow power leads to my 32" Panasonic.

I have to say that the difference adding RA leads to my Lex/Arcam setup is less clearly defined.

I'm not sure whether any improvemnt is real or merely placebo because you're listening harder.

Mark.

10. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From Russ's Free Tips on their website www.russandrews.com/mains.html

The longer PowerKord's are more effective than the shorter ones at rejecting RFI and therefore sound better. A further improvement is to use a PowerKord distributor block and plug the PowerKord mains leads into that.

In my experience a single lead doesn't offer much of an improvement, go the whole hog and get a lead for all the kit or don't bother.