Mains Filters Help?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Barzo, May 11, 2004.

1. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Does anyone know anything about Monster main filters? Seem only to be on sale in Comet. Do they actually make a difference?

Currently own Russ Andrews Yello extension block, which sweetens sound compared to a standard mains extension, but has no rfi filtering or surge protection.

2. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I also considered the Monster mains block/filter- does anyone have one? Comments?
    The one I saw in Comet was on demo- rigged up with speaker to monitor "noise" compared to normal mains lead. Store manager said it would make a difference- I asked if Comet would refund the £100-ish if it didn't make a difference. He said no- no refunds. If they were so sure it reduces noise, surely they would be prepared to support their claims?

Cheers

rkb

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I'd tend to agree with that,as those dealers that have confidence in their products will often offer goods on sale or return(as Russ Andrews does).

My experience of the RA goods is that they do work,and also remove mains spikes etc,which can be damaging or at the least,irritating.

As with all these things,the results can diminish if you are lucky enough to have a good quality mains supply,but they certainly work where we are,with overhead electricity supply and frequent interruptions.

The upper end of the market in mains conditioning does get very expensive,with passive filters from RA and Isol-8(which used to be Isotek until Nic Poulsen left),reaching into the hundreds of pounds and above.
    Above that,you have regenerative mains supplies from Isol-8 and PS Audio,which are supposed to be excellent for low level components,although I haven't tried them myself.

If you're looking at the £100ish market the RA devices are worth a look,and although more expensive the "Purifier" can be tried on sale or return.

www.russandrews.com
    www.isol-8.co.uk

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I have the Belkin equivalent and it does what it say on the tin. The monster one is MUCH more money and I 'suspect' they are from the same factory :)

Re does it work, surely that is down to whether YOU have problem mains and not the retailer per se? If you don't have a problem and he sells you this device, is it his problem his when you take it back and says it doesn't work or yours (for your mistake)?

The demo is quite good. Does anyone know where I can find the Entech device Comet uses for these. I have had a look but to no avail so far?

RA approach deals only with some of the issues that the belkin and monster deal with but do work well and is sale or return

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just bought an RA Silencer block and Yello power lead. I have yet to connect it up but I felt that it would be better than the £10 surge strip I was using. Not sure if I have noisy mains but I do have a fridge and a freezer on the same ring so I'm guessing they have to make some noise.

If I'm honest, it's for my own piece of mind really but I'm hoping there will be some tangible results once I have hooked it up. £175 is a lot of money for a mains block but it lokks chunky and has a quality feel and I know it will protect my expensive equipment against spikes so it's a bit of insurance too.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Thats the baby only I paid MUCH more money for it :blush: Never done this ebay thing :zonked:

You get most of the performance of RA for a fraction of the money. I have loads of RA stuff here, as he is local to me, and they all work but it is down to whether you have a problem or not. There are other solutions as well.

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    So you think the Belkin is better (provided there're problems in the first place)? Doesn't a RA Yellow block (RFI rejection) + silencer (noise, spike protection) deal with the same issues as the Belkin?

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I think the RA is better quality but their products, like the yellow, only address certain issues (RFI). What I am saying is you need to know your problems and get the mains device for that problem.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul....asp?session=9340c4a3eb34a665d711bcb02adf7e4c

will help

I do find RA high quality but what is the point in RFI rejection if you don't have an RFI problem. I find too many people throw 'technology' at problems they don't have! :lesson: A simple silencer may be all you need at £40?

identify the problem and then buy the toy.

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's not eBay, it's a cheaper version of dabs.com :laugh:

Either way, I've been looking at that mains board for ages, would you recommend it? I've got a big thing for build quality and think it might do the trick :)

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    The Belkin is very effective IMHO, it drastically reduces RFI and EMI as shown by my noise sniffer WHEN the mains is noisey. It offer much bang for the buck IMHO and looks smart :) Personally I think it will deal with most of the issues people suffer from.

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks, since I'll have to spend about £40 for a couple of decent 4 way boards I may as well splash out on that one then. At the very least it looks like it could stand more abuse than regular plastic ones. :)

13. SimonG156

SimonG156

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can you tell me if you can change the "tail" on the Belkin. Most of my kit is 5 metres from the plug socket. I currently dasiychain a single socket extension lead and then plug a surge protected block into that.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I'll have a peep tonight if possible