mains filter/conditioner

peve3

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi there just a quick question, In the new what hi fi they say a mains filter makes a big diffrence to the picture!!

Is this tru ?

This question could well start a very long, boring and possibly heated thread comprised of 50% of people saying 'Yes' and 50% saying 'No'.

My advice, and really the only sensible option, would be for you to arrange a money-back guaratee trial with the seller/maker of the item you wish to buy and prove it to yourself... either way.

These guys live in a different world from you and me.

They promote speaker cable and stands the price of a small car, SCART leads that are worth more than the average HiFi system etc etc.

If you are in your twenties, are teetotal, have perfect hearing and have a sound proof room, you just might - maybe hear a difference.

It's the same with TV pictures - using good RGB or component sources will give you great pictures on a good TV.

But a mains filter will may not one jot of difference unless there is a specific local problem with the mains supply.

The TV's transformer and control systems sort out most routine issues unless the voltage falls below 220 volts.

Now a spike protector is a different thing entirely and I would recommend them - less than £10 if you shop around.

As for me with traffic noise outside, the phone going, my PC running and a glass of red wine just poured - I'll take my chances on a cheap lead and power supply!

Originally posted by jim.rae
If you are in your twenties, are teetotal, have perfect hearing and have a sound proof room, you just might - maybe hear a difference.

Jim - you and I would appear to agree wholeheartedly on this point. It's something I've been saying for a while now. Fundamental external factors, over which you generally have little or no control, have a far greater effect on your listening/viewing perception than any cable or lead.

A mains filtered socket can cut out a lot of impulse interfearance on DTTV

As I said, I recommend a cheap surge protector - they had them yesterday in my local cash and carry at £5 - a bit more in Woolworths.

That stops any DTT interference from fridges, light switches etc for me.

What happened to the 20% rule? After you've bought your equipment at least 20% of the total value of your kit should be spent on hookers!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom