Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mains conditioner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sammy Jankis, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I was thinking of buying a mains conditioner in an attempt to clean up a picture problem on my Barco 708. Roland came over a while ago and did some tests, it seems it could only be the mains supply as all other possibilities have been exhausted.
    Does anybody out there have a mains cleaner in the power supply to the pj? If you have has it made any difference to the picture quality?

Thanks for any replies.

Sammy

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
  3. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Gordon

There are horizontal lines approx 1 inch apart slowly moving up and down the screen. The screen is 8ft wide 16:9. We disconnected all the av equipment and ran only the power supply to the pj. The odd lines were still visable when we put up an internal Barco menu. I also disconnected my fridge and central heating boiler from the ring.

Sammy

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    It's definately a mains bourne problem. Have you had an elecvtrician in to check the whole of the houses wiring. We had a similar issue with a client and had our electrician do an audit of all the services inthe home. He found a faulty cable in an upper bedroom that was casuing it. Completlely unconnected with the system or pj!

In that instal we had tried a nutter isolating transformer and it had absolutely no effect.

Gordon

5. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon

I will call in an electrician. I will let you know what happens.

Sammy

6. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture problems that you described sound like possible ground loops in your power supply. I used to have a similar problem with a Seleco 400 I used to own. The picture would exhibit vertical bars running up the screen which were slightly coloured with a yellow and purple haze.

I had two main power sockets in my H/C. I had one socket at the front of the room which was used for all of my AV equipment and another which was installed on the ceiling specifically for the projector. What had happened was the electrian had taken the power supply for the projector from a separate supply to the rest of the equipment, which should never happen. He then had connected the spot lights for the room on a Futronix lighting system to the same supply. The result was a major ground loop problem with all sorts of strange annomlies.

I managed to sort the problem out and got a good electrian to check the supply and run every thing off a clean single power point.

Another factor is disturbances in the power supply which may come from out side your home. I live very close to an industrial estate where companies use welding equipment which is notorious for causing disruptions to the power supply.

I now use two mains conditioners which protects against surges, spikes, line noise, RFI, voltage fluctuations and lightning strike surges.
    The first one is an Olson Sound Fantastic 8 gan condtioner/purifier. Cost around £100. The second is a Sollatek AV Pure mains conditioner, which is recommended and sold by www.crtprojectors. co.uk (Priced around £46.00).

Both units work well and offer good protection and peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

popeye

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm sure I reconed it was a mains Earth or neutral problem if I recall.
    Buy or rent a plug in circuit tester the type that give you a display using coloured LED's should do the job. Most electricians carry them any how.

8. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am going to build an extension to house my Home Cinema. I plan to install a CRT. Is there anything I should do with the mains cabling to avoid mains problems?

Martin

9. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I built an extension on my house as dedicated Hc room and did the following.
    I installed a completley seperate 240v supply to the extension by splitting the supply after the meter but before the consumer unit.Effectively giving me a parralell supply free from inteference from any domestic appliances in the rest of the house.
    I then installed a single consumer board and put in a ring in 6mm twin and earth. The increased impedence helps.
    All of my av gear is now free from any rfi from the rest of the house (pc's are notorious mains pollutors) and I can definatly see and hear the difference from when it was in my old lounge.
    I never get pops or fizzes or clicks.
    I use good quality cables for mains and interconnects.
    I'm planning to sink an earth spike in the garden to reduce pollution further.
    Get a qualified electrician to do the work because you have to get the local electricty board out to re-seal the meter and they like to see what you've done is good practice.

Good luck:p

10. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Very helpful, thanks!

Martin