Question Mains cables

Ambienz

Established Member
Reaction score
I regularly see mains cables being sold, sometimes at very expensive prices and it baffles me.

I am wondering whether these really make a difference and if so, wouldn't the same effect be achieved with some 13amp T+E for a few pennies? Unless you have specific wiring running from your consumer unit (ie some amps require 20A lines) , the wiring from the CU to wall socket is going to be something like 13A T+E, so how can the last metre from the wall socket to the unit make a difference?

yep, just like those mains conditioners ... your amp converts the AC to DC anyway, so any 'noise' on your AC is frankly irrelevant

These cables contain positronic nanites equipped with scrubbing brushes, tape measures, small hammers and stop watches. They marshall all of the electrons, scrub them clean, hence the term clean mains electricity supply, they then measure their size to make sure that all of the electrons are regular in size and shape and adjust any that are not the right size or shape (this is called conditioning - hence a conditioned supply), then they release them at set frequencies in tiny rental cars, 50 at a time, hence the term 50 Hertz. Only these very special cables have this ability to turn dirty, irregular electrical supplies into clean conditioned, perfect hifi electrical supplies.

Please Note - These cables are not suitable applications where electrical supplies are critical, such as ventilators, life support machines, safety critical applications or military equipment as this kind of 'special electricity' is only suitable for HiFi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. That’s it guys. You’ve convinced me. I’m off to get some. Is £500 sufficient budget or should I really push the boat out on this one?

On second thoughts maybe I should buy a dedicated power station instead

:thumbsup:

What can make a difference is to rewire the supply with a dedicated board with individual heavy gauge lines to each socket (no ring main). If you use low impedance thick wire to the sockets, like 10mm Sq or 6mm sq this helps keep the impedence low. Your earthing is also improved as you have a star earth arrangement back to the board.

I did this in my previous house and keep the original ring main in place (So I could swap back) it did noticeably improve things. I made up think 6mm Sq mains cable to all iec units (Which made no obvious difference) vs standard leads

The sonic difference for me were, lower noise floor, improved bass weight and dynamics and more consistency. The system sounded more grounded somehow, more solid.Transfer back to the ring main and there was increased hum from some amplifiers and the system just didn't sound as dynamic.

I can't really explain why any more than some units improving with better external power supplies, which they often do

By the way it's only really going to be worth it if the equipment is good enough and well set up. I would bother if I could, at home, I did rewire to a local in room consumer unit, but couldn't justify/manage to go right back to the incomer as the cinema room is on the third floor. Its not a lot of money tbh, a few hundred pounds or so

Please explain how you got 10mm2 TandE into the 5mm holes of a 13amp plug socket?

I like white ones if they have to run along a wall for a bit as they match the skirting board.

I used these faceplates when I had my room re-wired (dedicated board, 4x single unswitched sockets, each one on a 10mm2 cable spur), they take 10mm2 cable:

Didn't make a blind bit of difference though.

My issue was apparently DC on the line, interference from noisy devices. It was causing a large transformer to buzz in my amps. I got one of these and it sorted me right out:

Just make sure you buy your electricity from wind farms - gives an open, airier soundstage.

The constant swooshing sound is offputting though.

Here we go again. Some leeway for lockdown boredom applied. :lesson:

You need some of that 'electric' from Wales. I heard they put lanolin from the sheeps' wool on it, so that it runs smoother.

You need some of that 'electric' from Wales. I heard they put lanolin from the sheeps' wool on it, so that it runs smoother.
It's dragon's breath actually. Why do you think receivers run so hot. Steam coal and dragon's breath. Wind power is no good hifi, the oscillation from the blades causes too much wow and flutter on TTs. Fact.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom