Mains Cable

Clsmooth391

Novice Member
I have just moved over to Canada and will be shipping my equipment over soon. Some of the items being shipped over are dual voltage. Would it be better to buy mains cables with the Canadian socket or take my existing cables (which are a lot better than stock cables) and use an adapter (worried the fuse may not be correct for Canada)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Some of the items being shipped over are dual voltage
Canada is 120v 60hz , the frequency being just as important for some devices, if not more so.

Carefully take a look at what equipment your bringing over , unless its Universal Voltage , rated at something like "100v-240v 50hz/60hz , sell it and get some new gear over there.

Theres no such thing as better than stock grade mains cable , if you fell for that scam I'm sorry , but scam it is regardless.

Clsmooth391

Novice Member
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your help.
Apart from the amp (which I am getting converted to 110v), the equipment being taken over is universal voltage.

Clsmooth391

Novice Member
Would it make a difference if I used the UK mains leads with a travel adapter or is it better to buy mains leads with the Canadian plug?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Canadian plugs are similar to the American plugs in that the earth is at the bottom.

File:B plug.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What this means is that if you use a three pin adaptor you will be effectively plugging in the UK plug upside down and reversing live and neutral.

Functionally , to most electronic devices , this will not matter.

Safety wise though , this is a serious issue and should not be done. The live side is usually switched , neutral side is not , reversing them could potentially lead to a serious accident. ( Under some circumstances)

If you do use an adaptor , best to make it a two pin type.
Better Still , replace the leads with the local type.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom