1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mains cable upgrades...anyone taken the plunge?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by drago.d, Dec 4, 2003.

1. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know there are some audiophiles who swear by the benefits of upgrading the mains cables on their equipment, and also in using mains filters such those from Russ Andrews.

I would love to know if anyone has tried this with their plasma/media box/sky+/DVD player etc.

If so, what are the results?

drago.d

2. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Never been tempted. I think its a load of old tosh ! Just ensure you have a well engineered lead for the job. Normally those supplied are good enough.

Before splashing out check a few obvious problems. First ensure everything is neat and tidy and that all connections are secure. Dont overload sockets try and seperate heavy loads, amps and plasmas into their own dedicated wall socket. Once you've done this and you are still having problems then it could be other appliances on your ring mains that have a problem. Get a qualified electrician to check your house wiring is fine. You maybe one of these unlucky people who suffer from dirty mains from your local sub station. In which case this is the only time I would invest in some sort of screening/filtering. Ideally of course as long as your mains are okay I would install a dedicated ring mains for you AV gear.

Mains cables have never been given a priority in my system, as I dont have mains issues. On the other hand I've spent a few hundred pounds on interconnects and speaker cables. In my experience the more fiddling about with mains cable screening and filtering etc the more negative effect it has on the audio side and as long as there is no inteference I cant see why anyone would want to replace the mains cable on a plasma.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I spent £320 recently on several mains cables made for me by Mark Grant - a contributor to this forum. I also invested in a shielded distributor block. Changed the leads on DVD, plasma, amp, Sky box, etc.

Definite and noticeable improvement in picture quality. So if this is a load of tosh then give me more tosh.

Nobody can guarantee that you will see an improvement on your system, too many variables. I can only speak from personal experience.

Russ Andrews does a suck it and see deal - if you don't see an improvement send the stuff back. So must be worth a try - or you could just dismiss it out of hand without ever trying it out for yourself.

4. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I always keep an open mind about these things and maybe the suck it and see approach is the best way. Because not every installation is the same. I'll still stick with what I say until someone gives me sound engineering proof that these cables make one iota of a difference if you dont have problems with dirty mains or interference. I'd be wary of spending ,sorry wasting money on mains cables. Unless the ones you have are of poor quality. Never seen any poor mains cables myself.

5. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i'm with you philipb, i have replace the mains cables for my arcam cd player and panny 6 plasma and both have improved noticeably.

though on the same note, i tried changing the cable on my amp but the sound became too harsh and clinical, so i changed back to the supplied one.

Iy's definately a try it and see subject, no one can say if you'll get improvement in your system as every environment is different.

All i can say is i live in cornwall and my cd player gained greater detail and my plasma lost the softness and gained improved graduation.

PhilAllaway i shared your cynicism, but took the plunge anyway and it was definately worth it.

6. bodders

bodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a russ andrews silencer block along with
    the classic powercord at a cost of £300.

This may seem a lot of money but the improvements were
    staggering .

On my panasonic plasma PW6 there was a noticeable gain in picture quality without any side affects .Most noticeable is the extra
    sharpness .

Sound quality on my system took a giant leap forward with deeper
    bass and a much more overall pleasing sound.listening to cds on my grado and sennheiser hd 600 headphones
    sound so much more exciting.

I would suggest that you should go for it ,but if you find that
    you see and hear no improvements you can send it back (but you
    will have to pay for special delivery postage,less than £10 i think)

7. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Supra mains equipped with hampster ball(wattgate fititting) which was originally bought for my panny plasma but wouldnt fit.
    I ended up putting it into my arcam DV27 dvd player.
    I then bought a black rhodium which also didnt fit into my panny so using an adapter i fitted it to my sky.
    An last of all i bought a Russ Andrews yello mains cable which being identical in size to the black rhodium again wouldnt fit (DOH
    ) so i obtained another connector casing and rewired terminals and the dem thing fit!!
    Picture quality is improved and concidering i was more than happy with the original pic/sound but curious of mains cable improvement i was quite shocked. bearing in mind all my power and video cables are seperate right from the back of the aplience right up to the plasma.
    The sound is the main improvement.....it sounds even clearer than before.....like going from dd5.1 to dts!! seriously.

Hope this helps peeps.

Danny

8. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely an improved mains supply would carry benefits as all equipment performs to a certain spec when supplied with a certain level/quality of input power - so if the input is compromised then so must be the output?

Its just like how your car drives better when you put a new battery in or something electrical works better with decent batteries than failing ones?

Dont hifi mags recommend polishing your mains plug pins with brasso as a starter?

I am not technical but logic must figure somewhere in the equation.

Thanks

Sunil

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am in the process of writing a long technical article on this for the forum explaining why it 'can' work and why it doesn't for some. It is measureable :) but very situation specific

10. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Id suggest blind testing but not much use when testing a display:D

Anyway I have rattled on before about "cables" and their various effects on system perfomance but it basically boils down to this. If your cable is not introducing a resistance or and inductive load into the circuit then its up to its designated task.

If you go out and spend £300 on a cable its pretty certain that YOU will see a difference. That chances of anyone elese seeing the difference is of course much less so.

I have blind tested speaker cable, mains cable, and interconnects and have yet to see people reliably and repeatably notice the difference.

Phil :devil:

11. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I'm with you Phil.

I think most people see a difference because they have been brainwashed into believing they will and also because they need to justify the expense somehow.

I fail to see how you can do a true test which swaps between 2 cables instantly.
    Take the case of a mains cable for example. You have to power down, replace the cable, power back up.
    By which time you will not be able to make a comparison as the image/audio will have been absent for some time.

The only true way to test would be to have some kind of switching box (which did not introduce any degradation itself - which is not possible) and to instantaneously switch between the 2 cables.
    That's the only way the human eye or ear can make a comparison.
    I don't believe it's possible to "remember" the information in sufficient detail when in most cases the perceived improvements are minute.

12. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno about mains cables but I use an 8-way Sound Fanastic mains filter (blah blah), my flat seems partial to power surges in the mains supply and without the filter my equipment gets the odd spike causing the amp to momentary switch into standby/protect mode.

13. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Merlin Black Widows Mains block from cable-shop.co.uk (great customer service) to try out and was surprised by the extra sharpness gained on the plasma. I actually had to turn down the sharpness on the picture menu to -2 as it would be 'too' sharp otherwise...
    I have to say the improvement isn't dramatic but definitely observable.

14. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a note to add to my previous rant :)

I do use a UPS to protect all my equipment from brown outs, spikes and cuts. The effect on the picture or sound is nill but it does protect the no claims bonus.

(I have viewed the output from the ups 'professional APC 5000KVA' and I found this to be as perfect as you could want ie pure sign wave at 50Hz peak voltage 237volts. Connected this to the scope with a cheapo kettle lead and a VERY expensive mains lead. the output wave was IDENTICAL)

Phil

15. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have a Russ Andrews Yellow cable on Cd player along with a 4 way power block again using 2m yello cable. BIG improvement given the outlay.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Phil

R has vitually nothing to do with it, C and L do but then what about RFI, EMF, cable geometry, quality of ingredients?

Biling it down to not introducing a resistance or and inductive load is miss representing what this cable needs to do, granted it ain't difficult to do correctly if you know what to do and if all was hunky dory with the mains then a decent PS would take care of all the issues 'poluting' the mains. The reality is the mains is horrible and even relatively small lengths can 'help'. The solution is to deal with the problems on the mains rather than an after market 'partial fix'.

17. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    LOL :rotfl: So, you have an opinion without any data -- you don't say you've every tried it and it hasn't worked -- it appears you are just assuming your conclusion because you don't know how it works and therefore it can't be possible!

It's all to do with twisting:
    You know that network cable that goes into computers, it's called CAT5 or CAT6. Ever wondered what the 5 or 6 mean? Well it's the number of twists per inch. This cable is full of "twisted pairs". Why? Because it keeps the signal clear and error free, particularly over long distances; no twisting means no data.

How does that work? When you twist a positive and negative signal around their length, there is an effect (whose name escape me, I’m not an electrical engineer) that improves the waveform -- therefore reducing (or even removing) RFI (radio frequency interference) and EMI (electromagnetic interference). These TLA are responsible for the “hum” from your speakers. Another effect is that as well as cleaning up the signal, it rejects any new EMI emitted from ambient electronics and RFI from the air (long copper lines act like radio antenna).

Twisted pairs are the simplest form of RFI/EMI clean-up and rejection methods, Kimber and Litz braids offer even more. As well as computers and communication you'll find twisted cables in military and commercial aviation.

What's this got to do with AV kit?
    Simply if you can clean the mains waveform going into you AV boxes they will operate better: clearer images and cleaner sound (filtering out that “hum”). This is because the distortions of the waveform are carried through the transformers and into the circuit boards of the equipment and through to the output.

Even a metre of so of good quality twisted mains cable will remove almost all the RFI/EMI from the signal and reject any further pollution. Furthermore, some materials are even better at doing this, silver in particular is much better than copper; as well as being a far better conductor.

Blind testing is even better than Brogan’s theory of a switching box.

But here’s an anecdote of my experience of all this theory … I replaced the figure-8 power on my Sky+ box with Mark Grant’s £25 silver one, without telling Mrs StooMonster. I was in another room when she came to find me to ask me what new piece of AV equipment I’d purchased because the picture on Sky Digital was transformed and the sound was so much clearer. She knows nothing about physics or AV and refused to believe it was a simple cable change, until I showed her.

I unplugged one and plugged in the other, and swapped them around and it is obvious – without “remembering” any information – that the cable that came “free” with Sky+ gave grainy and artefacted pictures; whereas the cable made with silver twisted pairs gives a clearer and almost artefact free picture. It can be demonstrated to anyone and they can see the difference!

Upgrade plasma’s cable?
    You will get better results by upgrading in a chain from source to output. What I mean is you should upgrade power cables in DVD player and digibox before the screen, do that last.

StooMonster

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Good post :):clap:

remind me to check it before I go to bed ;)

As said above I am writing a long article on the mains / mains cable as well as how to get the best interconnets (all sorts), sor of what you need to know but these things take a while......

Why not just meaure stuff for all those who don't like blind testing, it isn't difficult to measure R, C, L, RFI and EMF. This will tell you if you have a problem

19. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  20. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I was one of those who thought that getting expensive power cables/blocks was next to madness. I just couldnt see the point.

then after a bit of an argument with a m8 he bought around a sounds fantastic board and a few eccosse pwerchords.
    Hooked everything up, you no what i was gobsmacked. My system was suddenly singing and yes pic quality did improve a little. I was wrong. turns out its more of a problem than most think, Mains pollution is very real. for some if the friend next door turns on there washing machine on, the lights dim slightly for a second or two.

needless i wanted him to leave the cables....
    but it was most notable when i hooked up the old cables and every thing lost the edge again.
    since i have bought the sounds fantastic 8 gang board for £99.
    cheap as chips and a nice improvment..still to do individual power leads.

So some more info on those MARK GRANT cables would be nice like where to get them

Thanks all

21. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Always a hot topic this one. I agree that mains pollution is a problem and that solutions that improve the pureness of the supply are usefull. What I disagree with is that a 3ft run of silver twisted cable at £200 is the best solution to the problem.

A cable can not re-shape the supply or raise or decrease the voltage. A cable can reduce emf but not remove it. Twisted pairs work great but only over the length of the cable, impurities in the signal that were introduced prior to the cable run will still be present.

The best solution is a good quality UPS. This gives you a clean power source which if you so desired can form the starting point for an expensive distribution system.

Phil

22. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Errr, no.
    As I have posted before, I have made tests playing back audio using various phono cables, iLINK, Toslink and Co-ax.
    I can't hear any difference.
    So either that means there is no difference or my ears are very bad
    Most likely it's a combination of the 2.

I can't be bothered to answer your other points but suffice to say I've been involved with telecoms/electronics/avionics for 15 years so know a thing or two about cables, frequencies, transmission, RFI, EMI, etc, etc.
    I currently design and build billion pound networks for a living so the words teaching, eggs and suck spring to mind.

There is just far too much rubbish perpetuated about this whole area.
    I read something the other day about why you should use a certain type of banana plug made by 1 manufacturer because it reduces the standing wave that is produced by inferior plugs when they make contact with the speaker socket on the amp.
    ***, get real.

As I have said before, if your existing cables do not degrade the signal in any way, there is nothing to improve upon - no matter how expensive a cable you replace it with.

You do seem to know a bit about the subject so perhaps you could explaing why "directional" speaker cables work then?
    I mean they must work otherwise companies wouldn't sell them, would they...?

Oh and what about "better" (i.e. more expensive) optical cables giving a "brighter", "cleaner" sound.
    A digital signal is made of 1's and 0's.
    It's either there or it isn't.
    If the same digital signal is transmitted down 2 different cables and the 1's and 0's are reproduced faithfully at the other end, the resulting sound will be identical.
    And there is no physics or tosh that can explain why it would be otherwise.

As I have also said in other posts - if it makes you happy then fine.

23. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In comms, twisted pair is used with differential signals. The idea being that the field generated by one signal is cancelled out by the other signal in the pair. Equally, intereference picked up by the twisted pair is removed when the differential signal is returned to a single signal. There are other benefits to using a differential system, but this isnt the place!

IMHO, using twisted pairs is only worthwhile as a cost saving measure, there are no other benefits. You really need to look at the cable properties, as they will affect the signal you are trying to carry. Remember these cables are designed for high speed data using MHz based signals. They will be optimised for those frequencies and possibly not have an ideal response with audio frequencies. You need a data sheet from the manufacturer to confirm this.

24. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Mains based tweaks I've done.

RA silencer in one socket of the twin socket that feeds a 4 way gang for my kit: conclusions ... snake oil.

Mark Grant mains IEC mains lead on my yamaha RXV630: conclusions ... more dynamic lower noise floor.

Mark Grant IEC mains lead to my HTPC:
    conclusions... no effect this one will end up on my plasma in due course.

MG figure8 mains lead on my RGB to svideo convertor.
    conclusions...less noise in picture , fit is a little loose though which has caused soem connection problems in the past.

MG captive two core mains lead mod on nokia ondigital box.
    conclusions...huge improvement , cleaner sharper, much improved.

25. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Digital is certainly 0 and 1s, but why do people get 'sparlies' on DVI connections before they stop reliably transmitting? Why do (other) people hear very real differences in audio?

It ISN'T about 0s and 1s, this is a myth generally put about by people who don't understand audio signals. I have never seen a system where the 0s and 1s have failed to be transmitted. The transfer of technologies here from one industry to another does not 'work well'. Audio signals are very different to computer ones. It is about all the 'other' things which are there which might corrupt the signals. There is a wealth on this already on the forum.

sort of agree with what you are trying to say here, I would perhaps rewords it slightly and say:

if you existing mains has no problems on it and your existing cables do not degrade the signal in any way, there is nothing to improve upon - no matter how expensive a cable you replace it with.

or

if you existing mains has problems on it (but the PS can deal with it) and your existing cables do not degrade the signal in any way, there is nothing to improve upon - no matter how expensive a cable you replace it with.

assuming the mains runs at the correct frequency (it's variable) and it runs at the correct voltage (again it's variable) but neither of these 'problems' can be dealt with effectively with cables. You need to re synthesise the mains (which some do), again it is very situation specific. In deepest Cumbria (or at least my bit) we don't have too many issues.....luckily

In general

You may have a huge 'mains' problems and some of these devices will work really well, on the other hand you may not have an issue then they will not work at all. Each situation is unique and these it works / it doesn't work threads help no one. What you need to know is what problems you have if any (analyse it) and how effective are the power supplies in the equipment you own dealing with these issues. There are huge differences here between analogue and switched mode and then there are significant differences in their design (pi / choke input?)

I like Mr D approach, says what he has tried, where he has tried it and the 'results' for him and as you can see the results are 'variable'.

You cannot make this topic black and white. It is way too complicated for that. It is however easy to effectively deal with cheaply, especially in the 'original' design (SKY box producers please note).

For the record, on decent quality kit I can now not spot any differences with mains cables at home but I can easily when I travel. I have tried to deal with the fundamental mains issues at home. I do have some ideas on how to improve cables though but nothing to do with the approaches taken here. :)

hb1966 good post. :smashin:

RE UPS Interesting concept, especially for switched mode power supplies, but as a rule they don't work well with analogue power supplies as the majority output a square wave! But there are always exceptions as I suspect is the case here but just be careful 'in general' when you are offered that cheap UPS.

26. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mr Beekeeper

You are right to point out that UPS can output a square wave and i should have pointed out that the units I use start at arount £800. The advantage here is that thes also have 8 outputs and so you only require one. The output from one of these will power my entire system for around an hour during a mains outage.

27. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    One of the problems I have with "high end" mains cables is the fact that the manufacturers don't generally want to tell you how they are supposed to work.

Aside from the obvious snake-oil aspect, there's another problem: there are a few things I can think of that a mains cable might do that would sometimes help. But some of those things are, under other circumstances, actively counter-productive.

For example, some power amplifiers don't draw current from the mains supply in a way that is perfectly sinusoidal. So if you look at their mains input in current rather than voltage terms it actually isn't a perfect a sinusoid. If you run a Fourier analysis on it, you would come up with significant harmonic components.

So if your mains cable is operating as a passive low-pass filter (to screen out radio high frequency noise) then this may actually make the amplifier sound worse rather than better by starving it of current during critical parts of the cycle. Without the manufacturer explaining what it is the cable is supposed to do, there's no way of telling whether it will help or not....

Power amplifiers can also sound worse with UPSes and mains conditioners, because these often can't provide enough peak electrical current.

28. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicolasB,
    When you look at the fourier analysis of the mains signal, are you across the input to a switching power supply or a linear one? How do you know the mains is not 'dirty' as standard?

A decent power supply in an 'audio/video phile' piece of equipment should have a large amount of input capactiance to take care of peak current demands.

At the end of the day, high voltage mains goes in, and low voltage DC 'usually' comes out of the power supply. Analogue electronics like a clean DC voltage with no ac component, otherwise amplifiers go unstable, or non predicatable.

Unless your mains cable was unbelieveably poor and inserting loss into the line, I can see no benefit to these expensive options. The only thing I can think would make a difference, would be to remove any screw terminals and replace with good quality solder connections.

29. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Again were talking low end UPS here. The unit I am talking about will supply 20 amps while retaining peak voltage (this is quoted at it imediate curent although I have no means of testing)

I must also say here that I only find my family room sufferes from any mains interference, the high end components in the HC have far supior power supplies which cope with mains pollution theselves

Phil

30. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Phil

I had assumed this was the case with you hence my carefully chosen wording, you choice of kit speaks volumes of someone 'in the know'.

HB / NicB

I can emphasise with what you have both said here. What I would like to see is better understanding / knowlwdge of mains issues and how these products work. I can also understand some people reluctance to divulge some info. I know how Godon Umbillical works, most people make wild guesses at it and are way off. If Gordon told people he would be out of business over night (these things take a huge amount of his time to make) BUT they are based on sound engineering reasons.