1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mains cable for Projector...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Les E, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Is there anywhere I can get a quality mains cable of around 3 or 4 meters in length, an IEC plug at one end and able to connect to a mains switch at the other?

Preferbly screened too!!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Are you sure you really want to switch the cable ? Most PJ's do "soft switching" to prevent the power to the fans being removed before the lamp has sufficiently cooled.

3. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What would you suggest? I am having the video and mains cable coming thru the ceiling and I was thinking of having the power cable terminate on a fused switch...wouldn't this be same as turning the power on if it was plugged straight into a wall mounted mains switch?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's up to you, but it just seems that you have one extra way for the PJ to be accidentally switched off incorrectly, which could shorten the life of the lamp. It's not the switching on that you have to worry about, it's the switching off.

5. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am pretty new to the PJ realm so any advice would be well received. Do you think that maybe just to install a fused socket (without switch) would be a better option?.

I know that you have to let the projectors warm up and down prior to usage which will extend the life of the bulb too, but do PJ's usually have a standby mode that would be better suited in this case?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Apparently the worst thing you can do is to restart a lamp when it is still hot. Most PJ's have control panels and some inbuilt logic which can help prevent lamp damage. What you want to avoid is a switch which can easily be operated by someone, because people have the tendency to immediately switch something back on, if it has been accidentally switched off.

I notice you were enquiring about filtered mains sockets. Have you considered the option of a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) ? These are small mains supplies which are primarily designed to stop PC's losing data during power cuts. They are basically a mains generator which is powered by lead-acid batteries, and they also contain a fair amount of mains filtering. They used to be quite expensive, but now you can pick one up brand new for around £40 for a model which will power a PJ. Take a look at Ebuyer and I believe Maplin do them too. You would need a 1200VA UPS for a PJ. The only drawback is that they are fairly large (about 6" x 4" x 14" deep), and fairly heavy. They will keep your PJ powered long enough for a proper shutdown if the power should fail.

7. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Les,

From the proposed layout you posted on your other thread, it looks like the projector switch would be adjacent to the light switch, which might increase the risk of accidental switch-off?

Personally, I'd use a low level swiched connection unit that would allow the PJ to be switched off when required for extended periods, but for normal day-to-day use rely on the standby mode.

8. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Should have mentioned, you'd then need an additional high-level connection unit to take the flexible IEC terminated lead to the PJ.

9. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    OK lost me a bit here (doesn't take much! :) )!

Can you describe a low level switch connection and a high-level connection unit? Better still, where would I get one of these from...or is it something I should mention to the sparky and leave him to it?

10. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Just as an aside, under the new wiring regulations which came into force on January 1st 2005, all fixed mains wiring has to be checked over by an electrician.

12. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As it's a new build, the sparky will be installing it all (oh boy is he in trouble when he finds out what I want!!!) :smashin:

13. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Les,

You can get the sparky to put in a switched connection unit (like this) beside one of your socket outlets, and then wire this up to another connection unit beside the projector location. The IEC lead to the PJ will connect into the 'local' connection unit. Be sure to specify MK brand electrical accessories.

14. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Im intrigued by the idea of 'semi-conductive insulation'. :confused:

Given the prices I've seen for Wattgate IEC connectors on their own, this doesn't seem too astronomical. Still no better than Twin & Earth and the free lead that comes with the projector though (in my humble opinion) :)

15. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    It's a bit more than that isn't it? All work has to be carried out by a 'registered' contractor, or inspected by your local building control officer (at a cost).

Still for those of us who don't need nannying, and have stockpiled red and black insulated T&E, it's business as usual :p.