1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mains adapter can help reduce plasma "buzz"?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by zedzed, Oct 26, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there,

Can someone give me a definitive answer to this question:

Will a decent quality (olson?) power adapter help reduce the buzz from my plasmas transformer?

And a second question - if yes, why?

Thanks,

ZedZed

2. bluefish

bluefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent them an email asking the same questions! If I get any response I will post it here you you.

I too have a problem with Plasma buzzing.

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got a reply saying "It should work and if it doesn't there's a money back guarantee" .... which reads to me like they hope it will work and if it doesn't I can always send it back (apparently they'll even collect it).

Sent an email to Russ Andrews to see if any of their products would make a difference.

To be honest though it's something that I think shouldn't be there in the first place. My buzz isn't deafening, but it can be heard from 9ft away when there's a silent bit on TV (or if I press mute) ... so I'm speaking to my retailer to see what can be done. I've heard a lot of people say "my plasma is silent" .. and although mine isn't /terrible/ if it's possible to get a quieter one then that's ultimately what I want! :)

Back on topic - has /anyone/ out there tried to solve buzz using a mains adapter? :lease:

ZedZed

4. bluefish

bluefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ZedZed,

Post as promised (they seem optimistic)

Dear Bluefish,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Have you checked that there is nothing wrong with the Plasma it self?

I cannot guarantee, but I am 95% certain that the Sound Fantastic mains
    unit will filter out the interference you are receiving.

The money-back guarantee still applies.

Any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Ella Hickman
    OLSON ELECTRONICS LTD
    Tel : +44 (0)20 8905 7273

Fax : +44 (0)20 8952 1232

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    sounds like boll@cks to me. Buzzing in plasmas is usually
    caused by faulty bonding of the laminations in the transformer core.
    I really don't see that anything can fix that apart from replacing the PSU.

6. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah - they were suitably optimistic with me too. The use of the word "interference" is strange though. I have a very limited knowledge of electronics, but I thought that the buzz in plasmas comes from the transformers vibrating - which I'm not sure could be attributed to electrical interference? Perhaps too much voltage to the transformer makes it virbrate though?

The other side of that coin says is that I don't believe that panasonic (or other manufacturer) can't make a decent transformer for a £2,000 screen! And given that some people experience buzz and some don't, perhaps it is related to some environmental difference. That could be the mains power supply, or something else? (I've seen it on a website that the higher the altitude the more like a plasma is to buzz!).

Retailers (MAW for one) seems skeptical that these Olson units work though - and he's got far more experience of these things than I do! (not sure if he's tried one though).

Oh - Olson have a money back guarantee - so I suppose it's a chance to try and it won't cost if it doesn't work!

ZedZed

p.s. What did your retailer say about your buzzing plasma?

7. bluefish

bluefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My plasma has a three year (next day warranty service), so when I complainned to my retailer he booked it in for repair. It went for repair and came back and after a couple of days it was buzzing again (by the way its a year old now!)
    I can send it back again and push for a new one, but I am very happy with the picture and screen in general, and if i could solve it with something that didnt cost too much, I would do it.

I live in Ireland so the money back guarantee isnt as appealing (due to postage costs involved!) So it would constitute somewhat of a risk!

So if anyone has solved their buzzing problem either my using the olsen product or something else, their information would be appreciated.

8. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bluefish - Olson told me that they would cover postage cost back too (although they might have assumed I'm in the UK). They mentioned sending me a pre-paid jiffy bag thing which I could use to return it. Might be worth asking if that would cover Ireland too - then you could try it "risk free".

Even if they won't pay the whole cost they'd sure give yuo the going UK rate - and all you would have to do would be to find the difference?

Going OT - my retailer (av-sales) have offered to send me a replacement PW7 anyway (howzat for service!) so I don't think I'll be ordering anything from Olson.

ZedZed

9. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I use an Olson jobbie on my Panny 6. It still buzzes. Nice bit of kit though.