1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mainly tv

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by roland, Dec 19, 2003.

1. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound on my tv is terrible. I mainly watch tv, almost no dvd's.
    I understand that with a receiver with 5.1, dts, prologic 2, etc,
    with left/right and centre speakers at front, and left /right and woofer at rear, the sound from the tv via the receiver will only produce sound to the front left & right speakers not the centre speaker, and mono to the rear speakers even if its a prologic film thats being shown say on BBC1. Although you can add some the sound settings of the receiver to the sound, nothing at the rear will be in stereo, and the sound at the rear will be as the front almost.
    Therefore is a a/v receiver, 5 speakers,and lots of cable a waste of money,when perhaps all I need is a cable from the tv to my hifi amp, then two leads running to two small speakers either side of the tv.Cost of speakers £50, lead to tv (5mtrs) £15, 10mtrs speaker cable £10 Total £75. or have I got it all wrong and should spend £450 + on the above.
    I would really like to know, thank you.

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With pro logic you'd get a centre front, + front left / right and mono rears. - it can add to the sound with any films you watch on TV, plus some programmes are pro-logic encoded (x-files, simspons spring to mind). Remember, a few years ago this is all you could get for any av system at home (pre ac3 laserdisc), so it isn't useless - I spent money on pro-logic amps, and owned a 'dolby surround' processor before that (just front left/right and mono rears:eek: )

However, personally I'd just spend any budget available (£450 ?) on upgrading the stereo, and attatch the tv to that.

Others may disagree though...

Cheers

Rob

3. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rob for your reply, Altough you you say that even if programmes are pro logic encoded you still get mono to the rears.
    This is I assume,still with a receiver with pro logic 2.
    Thank you

4. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    IMHO (and many others on this forum) DPL2 adds a great deal to TV viewing, even on a relatively cheap setup. This is not true so much with just DPL1.
    I believe, but don't quote me on this, that DPL2 does give you sterio surround as well as front centre channels. This improves the enjoyment of any TV. All my viewing is done with the sound via my AV amp with DPL2. Once you have tried it you wont want to go back to just standard Nicam.
    IMO £450 is well worth spending for the extra involvement you will get from DPL2, but this obviously dependent on each individual. I suggest you go into you local electrical retailer that has a home cinema demo and ask to listen to nicam & then DPL2 and see if you agree with the advantage it offers.

Mark.

6. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PL2 def has stereo surround channels.

7. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what kit do you already have - for HiFi music, for example?

if you already have a good CDplayer + stereo amp and two good front speakers, then buying connecting lead from TV to stereo amp is most cost-effective upgrade. Only stereo but then so's my HiFi and I love it.

if you want to add 5.1 functionality, much then depends on the quality of the audio signal that you are getting for you TV. For true 5.1 you need a digital signal. ProLogic 2 is much better than the first PL at manufacturing the 5.1 effect from stereo analogue output from the telly (or better still a cable box).

If you get a new or second-hand AVamp/receiver, which is required to do the 5.1 decodiing of a digital signal, then make sure it has PL2. I also recommend yuo check that it has pre-outs to allow you to make use of any good HiFi set up you may have.

You should be able to buy such a beast for anything from £150 to £250 s/h or ex-dem. Denon, Marantz and Yamaha all have earlier models that do what you need, and their respective supporters: I've had good experience with Yamaha but am now a Denon fan.

If you do not already have a HiFi set-up, and music is not so very important to you, then, when considering the surround speakers, there is sense in having the three front speakers of the same type. There is less going thru the other two, so you could make do with grot for a while. The sub. is the last to buy but really does make the difference to the total effect.

Have a look at my sig. below. I only use the TV as a display device, for the picture and sound from my TeleWest cable box (as it happens, routed via my VideoRecorder) and for the picture from my DVDplayer. I take the digital audio from my DVDplayer into the Denon AVamp. I also take the audio from the TeleWest (and from the VideoRecorder), via phono analogue, into the Denon AVamp. The Denon 2802 has PL2 (so too btw does the 1802 - but not I think the 1803!) and I can use this to simulate 5.1, routing each of those 6 channels to speakers. The sub. has a dedicated 'pre-out' and cable that takes the low bass to a amplifier/speaker (in my case the Velo VX-10). The Denon could then also be used in simple fashion to connect in each of the 5 speakers via speaker cable. 'Cos music matters a lot to me I have a separate system for CD replay, but I also want to 'share' the main HiFi speakers for AV purposes. I therefore use the pre-outs from the Denon to my stereo amp (used in poweramp mode, as it happens, but that is not strictky necessary). Just to pre-empt your question, yes I do sit with back to telly, and facing the fireplace, when listening to CDs, and then turn my chair to watch the telly when that's on.

I started pondering, buying & upgrading some 18 months ago. Its obsessive but can be fun, especially with such good advice on the several online forums like this - enjoy!!

8. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just read, on another thread, that "I already have a dvd player (Sony), wife won it along with a 32" Sony wide screen tele. but need a recorder with a i link for camcorder.Looks like I will be going for a Panasonic DMRE60"

Well done the wife!

So how do you get your telly signal? If you have analogue off-air (conventional aerial) then by taking the signal from the Sony telly into a separate amp and speakers you will get a better sound. That is true for stereo and for (simulated DPL2) 5.1 but if you invest in Sky or cable (and I'm just moving from TeleWest to Sky - tho not in time for Xmas) then the quality of the telly signal is so much better. However, that would also be true of FrewView digital - check the other forums for more on that choice.

edited extra:
    I've just seen " Denon 3802 Receiver + Kef KHT2005 Speaker Package with newer more powerful PSW 2000 subwoofer and 6 Eggs" for sale in classified. Its bundled in with a display that you dont need, and I dont know the guy who's selling it - so I'm not prodding you to buy that, but that combination would be a very good solution. It is certainly not entry level, and I would take this as an upper bound, but the 3802 has everthing you need (and more) and the Kef package is stylish and has good sound. (Note this is 6.1 territory, one step up on 5.1) You can start in at the lower end, and make up a 5.1 speaker collection, either a low-end package (from which you may upgrade later if you get the bug) or by adding piecemeal (and trusting that you get balance). Might be worth asking the guy (not by PM though as that breaks rules) what he would be asking for the Denon + Kef combo.

9. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for replying to my request for info on prologic 2, I'll come beck to you ditton15 re your question.Thank you Mark E15.
    Having looked at a web site re music dvd's looks as though I'll buy one for that. But mainly tv sound Thanks to you all.