Mainboard temperature

Quantum

Standard Member
I have finished building my hcpc and have used fanmate type fan slowers. The mainboard temperature is reading as high as 48c and the processor is running at around 54c. Is this ok?
Paul

KraGorn

Novice Member
What processor? AMDs run hotter than P4s, 54 for an AMD is warmer than many would like but I run mine at around there without any problems, while for P4s I think that may be a little high, though I know less about P4s in this regard.

Mr THX

48c does seam a little on the high side for a mainboard temp :eek: Has your motherboard got a northbridge fan or suitable heatsink ??
I'm running a AMD 2.8GHz Barton at the minute on a Gigabyte board with the northbridge fan removed (too noisey:rolleyes: ) and it runs 24/7 - my mainboard temp is a steady 36c ........while the CPU is 45c
Could be worth a try increasing one or more fan speed to see if you get a significant drop in temp. As KraGorn says it is on the warm side and if possible would recommend trying to bring it down a bit.

You don't have any optimalisation programs or Overclocking utilities running do you. ??

Big Adam

System should run all day long 24/7 at 54C

Once you hit mid-60's, you should start worrying.

Lot of nonsense talked about temps.

I wouldn't panic at all.

Quantum

Standard Member
I am running a 2800+ barton NOT overclocked
Should I be more concerned about the processor temp or the mainboard?

mjn

Distinguished Member
the cpu temperature.....you need a case fan installed, that varies its speed according to the temp in your case.

james.miller

Originally posted by KraGorn
What processor? AMDs run hotter than P4s, 54 for an AMD is warmer than many would like but I run mine at around there without any problems, while for P4s I think that may be a little high, though I know less about P4s in this regard.

thats wrong in sooo many ways lol.

My tbred 1700+ overclocked to 2.2ghz is siting at 44c idle, 50c load. cooler than his tbred 2800+ which runs at around 1.9ghz As i recall.

Originally posted by Big Adam
System should run all day long 24/7 at 54C

Once you hit mid-60's, you should start worrying.

Lot of nonsense talked about temps.

I wouldn't panic at all.

54c FULL LOAD yes, but 54c at idle is worryingly high. My tbred fails at 56c, my older pally failed at 47c every time. As a general rule of thumb, try to keep it under 55c at ALL times and ALWAYS remember - tempreature sensors are woefully inaccurate.

Big Adam

Originally posted by james.miller
ALWAYS remember - tempreature sensors are woefully inaccurate.

Precisely, if it's 100% stable, then tweak your fan mates up a notch and ignore your temps.

Mr THX

James
Are those temp achevied with air or water ??? what cooler and compound are you using...................nice overclock bye the way.;)

james.miller

air. slk-800 and a 1600rpm fan. At 1600rmp the pc is extream;ly quiet.

this setup will run at 2.4ghz all day long with the same heatsink and fan.

nice overclock bye the way.

225ghz.jpg

with only 1 case fan. quiet and very fast. People who say athlons run hot have no idea;)

Jeff

Distinguished Member
People who say athlons run hot have no idea;)

They do, but so do P4's.

james.miller

Originally posted by Jeff
They do, but so do P4's.
neither of them do - thats my point.

Quantum

Standard Member
even with the cpu fan and the 120 case fan at full I am still getting 46c cpu and 38c mainboard. The consensus seems to be that this is too hot so I have ordered a 80mm case fan for the front. The damn thing is now well noisy, hopefully with the extra fan I can reduce the noise level again.

Thanks for the advice all

Paul

Jeff

Distinguished Member
neither of them do - thats my point.

Compared to what? They certainly run a lot hotter than my Pentium M, or my PIII.

james.miller

yes - and they also run cooler than AMD thunderbird's, AMD palamino's , intel prescott's and intel xeon's so yeah, relatively speaking then dont run hot.

xp1700_stock_1.1v_no_fan.jpg

thats my athlon xp @ stock xp1700 speeds (1.47ghz) @ 1.15v. Look at my full load temp - 4c over ambient. Are you trying to tell me your p3 or Pm runs even cooler than that? quite possibly, but does that mean my xp runs hot? nope.

Let's see what kind of thermal output a p3 at 1.4ghz would have.....

Quantum

Standard Member
Ok. I have now got a second case fan and a zalman fan speed controller for a 5.25 bay
What temperatures should I be aiming for both the MB and CPU?
To remind you I have a
A7N8X Deluxe SKT A NForce2 Chipset Motherboard VER: 2.0
2800+ Barton NOT OVERCLOCKED
Thanks
Paul

mjn

Distinguished Member
well....mine are CPU 38 and MB 26 when running idle, with no case fans. If i enable the case fans, then CPU 35 and MB 16.

Asus A7N8XE rev 2, XP2600 overclocked

EffTee

mjn,

Do you live in an igloo? :)

EffTee

p.s. system 45c, board 48c and cpu 48c - all at idle

lynx

Under load - system 42.00C cpu 68.00C rock solid at that temp. Variable speed fan -CoolerMaster Aero 7 - will bring the cpu down to ~30s.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by EffTee
mjn,

Do you live in an igloo? :)

EffTee

p.s. system 45c, board 48c and cpu 48c - all at idle

ha ha...funnily enough, it sits quite near a radiator!!

but i use a Thermaltek SLK-947 heatsink on the CPU and 2 x 120mm YSTech fans controlled by the PSU thermal sensor for the case.

james.miller

Originally posted by mjn
ha ha...funnily enough, it sits quite near a radiator!!

but i use a Thermaltek SLK-947 heatsink and 2 x 120mm YSTech fans controlled by the PSU thermal sensor.

dude 16c aint gonna happen if it sits near a radiator lol. i dont even have a radiator in my room and my pc's ambient is sitting at 29c

mjn

Distinguished Member
erm.....it says 16 degrees....why would i lie?

james.miller

im not saying your lying:rolleyes: i was implying your temps were being reported wrong.

Buy hey, whatever.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony Bravia XR X95J TV range gets 65-inch model in August
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What was new on Blu-ray for July 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom