1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main speakers distance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iaria, Dec 1, 2004.

1. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, what should be the optimal distance for the front speakers to get good stereo? Mine currently are just ove 1 meter, should they be further apart??

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stereo imaging is at least 6ft apart but i can't remember the top limit (10ft?)
    I have found the listening distance makes more difference, you should be about the same distance away from the front soundstage as the left and right speakers are apart.(eg speakers 6ft apart = you 6ft away)

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    1 metre sounds a bit close to me. Try experimenting at 2, 2.5 & 3 metres apart, to see how it sounds.

Also try experimenting with "toe-ins" of various angles.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    One of the general setup guides for stereo is to have the distance between the speakers the same as the distance from each speaker to your chair. Also place the speakers symmetrically in the room or the imaging may be skewed by differing room reflections.

For movies the speakers should be as close to the sides of the image as possible. Or a compromise of the two.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The construction of the modern house normally makes this very difficult due to the ubiquitous fireplace in the middle of the wall.

My left speaker is about two feet to the left of the TV whilst the right speaker is about 10 feet to the right. I can't do much about it either.

6. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Move ;) :D

7. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as Ian has the same problem with his fireplace, I have the same thing but at the most I can put my left speaker about a meter away form the screen and the right one is close to the tv.
    Gerry

8. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is this definately true? My speakers are only 5 ft apart and I get an excellent soundstage and stereo imagery. I would like them further apart but there is just no room.

I thought this definitely wasn't the case? Any advice I have ever read is that the distance between the speakers should always be less than the distance between yourself and the speakers otherwise you are effectively creating a gap in the soundstage.

A lot of manuals tell you to toe in your speakers in so that an imaginary line from each speaker crosses just in front of you. Personally I have found that a bit excessive. Some speakers seem to benefit from being straight on others like to be toed in a little. Only way to know is to try.

Most important thing I have found is the distance from the wall. Speakers should never be placed in the corners or too close to side walls as this tends to mess up the base and projection. Small bookshelf speakers are generally designed to be used close to the rear wall (around 30cm) and this will often determine the level and tightness of any base. Once again experiment by changing the distance from the wall.

Floorstanders on the other hand can sound muddled and boomy if close to the wall. Generally there should be a minimum distance of 50cm and preferably a lot more but once again experiment. Have seen a pair of Martin Logan speakers that sounded so much better when placed six feet away from the wall. Didn't stay there for long though as they were virtually in the middle of the room :smoke: .

Totally agree with everyone else, this is all well and good in theory but if your room won't allow it, there's not a lot you can do about it :rolleyes: .

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    Looking at my old Mission instruction book it say there speakers should be between 1.5 and 2.5 meters apart.

With regards to placing the speakers near to the TV, if the speakers are not shielded it can cause damage to the tube.

As for toeing in I would imagine this would make the stereo sweet spot a bit more restricted than having the speakers straight out.