1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main right suddenly went quieter. Powering down fixed it though...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hikikomori, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was happily playing an Xbox game in Dolby Digital with the volume at -60dB (I normally only play games around the -66dB mark unless there's loads of gunfire such as in this case :blush: ), when all of a sudden the sound faded to the left. I hit the speaker test button and sure enough the front right speaker was a helluva lot quieter than all the others. Tried a couple of different inputs, still the same :mad:

In a bit of a panic I just turned my amp (Yamaha DSP-AX630) off then on again, all working fine now :confused:

What the hell just happened?

-
    For reference speakers are -
    Mains: Yamaha NS-200 (6ohm)
    Rears: Yamaha NS-100 (6ohm)
    Centre: - Wharfedale Valdus 100 :blush: (8ohm :suicide: replacing ASAP)
    Sub: - Yamaha YST-SW160
    All speakers are set to small with bass to sub and switched to 4ohm setting...

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Overloaded the front right amp maybe? If that channel happened to have a loud explosion, gunfire etc going through it, it could happen (although the possibility should be reduced having the speakers set to small as they aren't producing low bass). How hot was the amp?

3. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How hot is hot? :confused:
    :laugh:

When it's at loudish volume levels (around low -60's to high -50's) there's always warm air rising from it. Because every amp is different, to give a rough guide of where the volume levels lie, around -70dB is my background volume...
    I ran it at -45dB once using DPLII (the loudest I've ever got it to due to a small 12' room) I could see a bit of a heat haze then...

Can't say for sure how hot it was when this happened, I was a bit too flustered and kind of just switched it off then back on, checked it worked, switched it back off then went for a sit down :laugh:
    If/when it does it again I'll grab my thermometer and get a reading :laugh:

Thinking about it the amp has been on all day at fairly high volumes (played a couple of tunes this morning at and around -51dB), and the weather is pretty hot too (24°C) :laugh:

:mad: I've just gone and checked it. The right channel is quiet again! Help!

Can't be the wiring can it?

Just had a quick look over it all... Coincidence or not? - I messed around with the wiring and the HF/LF bridge on the back of the speaker... Works again :rolleyes: Maybe why it was quiet was because the tweeter wasn't connected??? :confused: I'll keep my eye on it and see what happens. Either way I'm scared of putting it louder than -60dB now :mad:

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Doublecheck the wiring just to make sure it's not that. Most amps will run warm, some hotter than others but I wondered if it had got really hot!

If the cabling is fine and it starts to do it more often I would get it looked at a.s.a.p.