Question Main oven has power but doesn't heat up

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by robin202020, Mar 13, 2017.

1. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My electric cooker isnt heating up, yesterday only hob and grill would heat. Now only the hobs heats

2 days ago over only worked below 150degrees, grill and hob fine. Yesterday only grill and hob work, Today only the hobs work. I assume it is a faulty thermostat and not clock/an element for example but is there any way to be sure?

I am just about to order part to replace as I think my thermostat is the issue. Wonder if you could confirm /advise please.

I was told that my cooker has two thermostats, not sure if this is accurate though..(AMICA 508EE1 (W) )

Thank You

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,393
    Page 15 has some difficult to understand operations instructions for the oven and grill - presumably as the owner you know what it means though.

Amica 508EE1(W) manual

The one knob does the grill off and on and sets which oven elements are on and does the temperature (for oven only I suspect not grill).

It appears that a new control knob complete may fix your issues - that will include the thermostat and all switches for grill and oven elements in the one control.

3. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes the one knob controls the oven elements including grill and temperature.

Do you mean only a replacement knob is needed as this includes the thermostat controls or that i need a new control knob AND a thermostat?

I have uploaded the parts list and diagram that i was using to tey and find the right part.

Thank You

Attached Files:

4. jrenoc

jrenoc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems as thought the 1 thermostat controls the temp for either oven or grill depending on setting.

However the issue you describe could be just the stat working loose from the rear of the selector switch .

In the model you have it seems that the sets is clipped onto the rear of the selector switch.

I would pop the top of , usually 2 screws at rear and clipped over at front and check before ordering any parts.
    Obviously turn off at consumer unit and disconnect from power first.

5. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,393
    That parts diagram isn't very clear without seeing the actual thing. When a I said new knob obviously it is the internal block(s) inside I was talking about. Having said that is feb knob correctly on the shaft and not broken so it is turning and the shaft isn't? Does it turn on the oven light if you move it there? And I have never seen one knob for the mode and temperature before - how does that work? Is the knob split so the inside and outside move independently?

When the oven doesn't come on I assume the thermostat light (red or yellow?) no longer comes on to show it is heating? Doesn't come on on any of the oven modes?

As above you need to look inside at those blocks shown in the diagram to see if nothing is loose or turning that shouldn't be.

It sounds like thermostat only if no mode works but I would need to get my head around that single knob idea - it can't work with one shaft surely? The thermostat and mode control blocks are seperate but as mentioned above clipped piggy-back together?

6. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive took the top off and had a look as suggested. The stat was not loose as such, it did move slighly only by 0.3cm if that. When i tested by tuening the knob it turnt fine with no issues. The picture is the stat control knob etc. It looks fine to me but i am not sure how to test. I do have a digital multimeter but understand this is for the elements only, which i dont think is the issue.

There is nothing loose as such and everything is turning as it should be. When the cooker is on and i turn on the oven the red light did come on before but not it doesnt.
    Progressively parts of the oven stoped working. A day or so apart. First it didnt work over 150 then not at all then the grill went but the red light was coming on. Now the red light also doesnt come on.
    Sorry yes i mean the internal control not the actual plastic knob handle. Yes they are seperate.

Is there any other way to test the stat before just buying a new one or do i just take the plunge?

Attached Files:

7. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The yellow light comes on but now nothing gets warm in the oven

Thank you for your help with this.

8. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,393
    The yellow light is power - the red light is power to the elements when the thermostat says so if I read the manual right.

I still don't quite get how that single knob operates? You need to select a mode from grill, bottom only oven element, both oven elements etc. then by turning the same knob you select a temperature? Sorry I'm being thick here but can you explain exactly how that works?

Ultimately if you buy the whole of the control behind the single knob it seems likely that will fix the issue. To be any use with the multimeter you need a wiring diagram or be able to follow a couple of wires. The symptoms indicate that while switch and thermostat though.

9. jrenoc

jrenoc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you checked the terminal block where the mains cable attached , inside the cover and inside the appliance.

Sounds like a potential poor neutral connection getting worse.

10. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that is correct. I select one option using the same knob. So options are grill, bottom oven (which is selected by selecting the temperature), top/bottom oven only. The grill and top oven etc do not have an option to select temperature only on or off. The temperature only related to the oven.

Sorry i didnt quite understand this last sentense.

11. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no but I will check this now

12. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just realised you ment the mains. Yes this was one of the first things I checked. Everything seemed fine.
    The hobs have always worked fine but the oven over the last month or so was not heating right; to full heat but all of these issues happened recently over the last 3/4 days.

13. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,393
    Oops whole switch and thermostat - not while.

14. jrenoc

jrenoc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If mains is ok , no over heating evidence then check for overheat stat on or around oven cavity , can also cause loss of neutral.

You've then eliminated pretty much everything so sounds like selector switch issue.

15. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,393
    I was thinking the overheat stat is usually a kill all power job and the power light is still on. It also 'usually' resets when the temperature lowers. Without a drawing I agree it will do no harm to have a look though :)

16. jrenoc

jrenoc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed

Usually it does just cut all power , the strange series of events is what would make me check.

I've found the strangest issues caused by the silliest things, had engineers lose hours on appliances only to find a oxidised connection.

17. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,393
    I know what you mean. Now I have my head around the combined mode and thermostat switch though the sequence of failures seems to be the thermostat only doing higher temps (both elements only switches at that pooint), then not doing the both elements at all, then no bottom element and then no grill. It just seems to be chasing the single control functions around towards 'Off'. I just had visions of the internals progressively disintegrating - I haven't really seen this make before and I did see it is apprently specially aimed at the Polish market. I think it was Polish anyway.... all other possibilities need to be checked of course but depending on the cost of that single control/thermostat I think I would pull the trigger anyway. Could be a useful spare if something else is awry.

18. 160 Sport

160 Sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The thermostat just pulls out of the back of the selector switch which is a very common set up on ovens. You need a selector switch by the looks of it, I can see that the rear most switch has got hot and probably melted and no longer making contact. They are relatively cheap for Amica, about 20 quid.

19. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I spent some time on the phone with Amica spares to order. Initially i was going to order selector switch replacement and thermostat but they advised that just stat should be fine.

New stat fitted and the oven is still not working.
    I assume I should try and order the selector switch?

Yes I did see that small part on the selector which looked abit off but was not sure if this was just 'normal' ware and tare over time or not. I uploaded a picture of the section on the selector switch which i am refering too.

Attached Files:

20. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah okay, only the stat was changed. I'll try the switch also.

21. 160 Sport

160 Sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I can source you a switch through work if you like. I think it's part number 8001690 check that with Amica if you've been on to them . Costs £22.60 standard delivery or £26.60 express delivery. I work at Home Aids Services in Crewe if you need to call me.

22. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you but I have literally just ordered the selector switch for quite abit less direct from cda (took over Amica). Yes 8001690 is the exact part number! Should arrive Wednesday.

23. 160 Sport

160 Sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No worries.

24. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

This is the replacement thermostat they sent me. It is obviously slightly different, can I continue to try and replace this or do i need to reorder the exact replacement part as the old one?

Attached Files:

25. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the old has 5 sections but the new has 6.

26. 160 Sport

160 Sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The 2 x at the front a linked

27. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. On closer look i saw the markings.

It seems the new switch has overheaded the fuse. Overerything was off of course from the wall and main fuse to cooker. Affer the switch and turning the electricity back on, the wall switch flipped and is stuck at on. I assume it overheated? I've left the cooker fuse switch off however.

I assume it is overheated and obviously have to call someone in the repair the fuse.. I am at my whits end with the oven. Not sure what next to try/do. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

28. 160 Sport

160 Sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't understand why you mean. Did it trip the power? Have you tried using the oven?

29. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it tripped the power. No i cant turn it on as the cook fuse switch wont switch to on (I assume for safety)

30. robin202020

robin202020
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0