Main difference between 525 & 555 ?

erniebert1

Hi

Looking to get a harmony remote and have been looking at the 525 as it ticks all the boxes.

Just checking the price however and I can get the 555 model cheaper than the 525 model, so was wondering the main difference between the models and wether its worth getting the 555 instead :confused:

many thanks

lee :)

ABC1

As far as I am aware the 555 has a couple more buttons, so is slightly more "able", It has a "return" button plus one other I can't remember, also the display is Orange not blue if that affects you. Having both I would say that the 555 is the better long term bet, my 525 has worn somwhat on the central circular button because it is a coated plastic, whereas the 555 one is a metal, and is wearing somwhat better, also the casing on 555 is a soft touch plastic, which in practice is nicer to hold. In reality there really is little between the two, operating system and programming is the same. Personally would go for the 555 is it was a choice especially if you can get it cheaper, when the list is actually more!

erniebert1

As far as I am aware the 555 has a couple more buttons, so is slightly more "able", It has a "return" button plus one other I can't remember, also the display is Orange not blue if that affects you. Having both I would say that the 555 is the better long term bet, my 525 has worn somwhat on the central circular button because it is a coated plastic, whereas the 555 one is a metal, and is wearing somwhat better, also the casing on 555 is a soft touch plastic, which in practice is nicer to hold. In reality there really is little between the two, operating system and programming is the same. Personally would go for the 555 is it was a choice especially if you can get it cheaper, when the list is actually more!

thanks for your input m8, looking at pictures of both, the 555 does look alot sturdier and being an orange display will not affect things. Think I'll get one ordered today.

There £47 from amazon if anyone else is thinking about getting the 555 :)

lee

micks_address

i was wondering the same thing. the usb connection on my 655 broke off and harmony are replacing it.. they said they couldnt give me a 655 as they are phased out, so they offered a h525 or h555 as replacement.. went for the h555 as it seemed the more expensive model.. cant say enough for their customer support, pretty top notch.. this will be my second replacement, after the volume button on my original got stuck after 18 months use..

czzer

The biggest difference is that the 555 has the "Picture" and "Sound" buttons that the 525 lacks. These are basically shortcuts to a customized Device mode of the devices being used for audio and video in the current activity. I personally find them very useful on my 659, but others don't use them at all.

troakie

The biggest difference is that the 555 has the "Picture" and "Sound" buttons that the 525 lacks. These are basically shortcuts to a customized Device mode of the devices being used for audio and video in the current activity. I personally find them very useful on my 659, but others don't use them at all.

Interesting this! I have been unable to get these potentially useful buttons to function as apparently intended - ie to control just the sound and picture
independent of any other settings. After a long discussion quite some time ago with Logitech technical support they said that a firmware update was
imminent to fix the problem - this was at least 6 months ago and so far no
sign of the fix.
Otherwise I very nice device - certainly at the price available now.

czzer

Interesting this! I have been unable to get these potentially useful buttons to function as apparently intended - ie to control just the sound and picture
independent of any other settings. After a long discussion quite some time ago with Logitech technical support they said that a firmware update was
imminent to fix the problem - this was at least 6 months ago and so far no
sign of the fix.
Otherwise I very nice device - certainly at the price available now.

Yes, there was a bug with those buttons for a few months, but I think it is fixed now.

It never affected me as I didn't change my setup when the bug was "active". I had it set up before the bug, and it still works as intended.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom