Mail Order Purchases.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Raffles, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In view of the many satisfied customers posting on this forum I was considering purchasing a Toshiba 42WH18B television. However in order to take advantage of the considerable discounts available I will have to purchase by mail order.

Ive seen one or two dire warnings about some of the problems encountered by people purchasing by this method and I thought that a solution might be ,if possible, to purchase on a 6 month interest free basis,in which case if anything goes drastically wrong you have time to sort thing out before affecting payment.

Two or three retailers do offer this payment method and I was considering contacting "[email protected] DIRECT" of Bolton. If anyone has experience of dealing with them,or any other retailer offering interest free credit, I would be pleased to hear from them.

Cheers.

2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have just ordered my new Tosh from Unbeatable.co.uk - saving myself £300:D

They do instrest free credit for 6 months through Able2Buy. Which were very fast. Once you have completed the online form they let you choose a time to call you. I completed the form on a friday and asked them to phone me at 12:15 the same day, and they did spot on time to :D I then recived the credit forms to sign the following day, sent them back and am now waiting for unbeatable to get the TV in stock , can't wait.

I did this for the same reasons as you. If I get any problems I havent spent my own money. Plus When I pay off the balance with my creditcard I will get another 2 months interest free :D

Paul

3. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Mail Order companies from Bolton have not had very good reports on this forum. Do a search for "Digital Direct" and "Sound & Vision" and decide for yourself. (If these have not been removed by Administrator of this site due to "unfair criticism"!?)
    All I can say is do not buy mail order, whatever "perks" are available. If you have any problems with the TV then you are probably in for a torrid time.
    It took SIX + weeks for my money to be returned on a TV that was faulty as confirmed by a TV engineer. I informed the shop of the fault the very next day but they did not give a s*** 'cos they'd got my money. This shop was in Bolton.
    My advice would be buy locally and check the returns policy. You may still be able to get a good deal as they may price match some of these mail order companies, especially if they have an actual shop as well.

Phil.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Buying on credit is no guarantee!

The shop has still been paid by the finance company. If you dont pay the finance, you are not hurting the retailer in any way. Although the finance company is usualy obliged to sort out defective goods (under the consumer credit act), they are often unwilling to help you. Instead they will chase you for payment, ultimately resulting in them taking YOU to court for non-payment!

You could stick to your guns, still refuse to pay, and end up with a county court judgement. Credit Card companies are better with disputes, but even then it's not straightforward. I've waited four months so far.

Agree wholeheartedly with Phil Read - Don't buy a large screen tv mail order full stop. The saving simply isn't worth it.

Dvd, Amps, etc seem OK to buy mail order, there doesn't seem to be as many faults with them. Damn sight easier to return aswell.

5. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oblivion,Phil Read & Simon 1 , - thanks for your advice,it is much appreciated,however I ordered the TV yesterday from TV & Video Direct,Bolton - luckily not the firm quoted because of advice on this forum.
    When I phoned the firm were courteous and seemed to be "on the ball" - they promised delivery tomorrow,Thursday 12th-i`m to ring them in the morning to ascertain the precise time! I`ll let you know how I get on. They require 10 or 20 % deposit(I chose 10% of course!!) for "interest free credit" and I am required to sign the relevant forms when the TV is delivered(which all seems to be reasonable).

If I could afford it I would much prefer to buy locally,but I have visited all the local retailers and all require the full recommended retail price and no amount of haggling will get them to reduce their prices,I appreciete that there is an element of risk in mail order purchase but I know of quite a few people who have had problems with local retailers,with long delays before obtaining any redress,and sometimes none at all, "so yer takes yer choice"

Maybe I`ve been lucky as I have purchased many items by mail order and on-line of late with no problems and in this instance the cost reduction of £450 was just too tempting.

6. snoops

snoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just started using this site the last few weeks and have noticed a few places don't get favourable reviews. I have purchased equipment from numerous companies, mail order, including the previously mentioned ones over the last couple of years and have not had any trouble with anything i have bought. So from a complete and unbiased point of view you pays your own money and takes your own chance. If the prices are cheap at numerous outlets nowadays who is to say that if things go wrong they all give excellent customer service. Money still talks and if you can save some then i am all for it. Play places off against each other and do some serious haggling and when you get a quote you like make up your own mind.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Raffles,
    As Dave Allen would say, May your God go with you...
    As said above if you don't receive the service you expect, the finance company have no clout with the retailer, they pay them and then wait for payment from you.
    If you withhold payment for any reason the only person to suffer will be you, say goodbye to preferential mortgage rates and finance incentives for your new Lexus.
    Mail order companies often advise you to contact a local dealer should you require service after the swap out period.
    In my experience the local dealer will bounce you back to the original supplier, alas there's the rub, as Shakespeare would say, mail order dealer's invariably cannot provide you with local service.
    They could do so, but would probably have to charge you £300 more for your new television.

8. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I promised to let you know how I got on.

Yesterday morning "TV & Video Direct" rang to inform me that they only had stocks of the Toshiba WH29B and not the Toshiba WH18B and would I be happy to accept this later model (at no additional cost)!! I agreed to accept the new model and was advised that it would be delivered early in the afternoon

At 1.30 p.m the set was duly delivered by two pleasant young men who unboxed it and asked if I would like them set it up for me. Just as well I said yes because the set was defective.(Well,it was the 13th I suppose)!!. They were extremely apologetic - rang base for advice and were instructed to bring it back and promised to deliver another the following day.

They left the instructions,rear speakers and handset with me and surely enough another set was delivered at 10.00 a.m.this morning. This time everything went to plan and the family are watching it now as i write this.The installers advised me to retain the box just in case!!! This I have done and it is now practically filling my shed space! Both sets were brand new as I noticed the box in which the second set was delivered contained unopened bags containing all the accessories.

I would therefore advise that,up to now my dealings with TV & Video Direct have been very positive.

9. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Raffles,
    Glad to hear you've had no problems. I wish that had been the case for me. You have certainly been looked after well - why can't other mail order companies learn from this?
    I know you didn't take the advice of Simon and myself but you did what you felt was right for you, which I cannot argue with. After all, these forums are here to enable you to gather advice/opinions and then decide what/how you are going to buy.
    I know Simon has had a terrible experience which was very similar to mine, therefore we are bound to put anyone else off having to go through the same hell. I'm sure that if we'd had good experiences from mail order then we would probably be recommending it to everyone.
    It may be that this forum is somewhere to vent your anger when things go wrong as there seem to be more negative posts than positive ones.
    I still believe that it is far too risky buying a bulky TV mail order as they are not the easiest things to return when things go wrong. You have been lucky. (although your first TV was faulty!!- no surprise there!).
    I really do wish you all the best with your TV and it's nice to read about a satisfied consumer. I got so fed up recently that I started a thread on here entitled "OK,So who is happy with their TV?" just to try and find some positive aspects to buying a new TV!
    What this all boils down to really is that I'm just jealous as I've been trying to buy a TV now for about 5 months and I'm sick of straining to watch the footy on the 14" portable I'm currently using!:mad:
    Phil.
    :)

10. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a lot more tvs than usual seem to have faults lately, shouldnt the manufacturers be getting some stick.it's time yhey pulled their socks up too, they make enough money out of us.

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    stranger,
    In fact, with the exception of B & O, Loewe and LG, the other makers mostly make huge losses with regard to CRTs.
    Toshiba are saved by Rear Projection and others by LCDs and Plasmas.
    Who would have thought...

12. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then why on Earth do other companies make CRTs if they make losses?!!? I think you might be wrong.

13. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe if they made them more reliable they would get their reputations back, sell more sets and get back into profit. no one makes lasting profits out of duff tv's.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    MattTheCat,
    Mostly the big companies are backing out of CRTs.
    Firstly, production has been switched to low cost countries from the U.K. Secondly, they use OEM suppliers , foreign chassis are re-badged, as with vcrs.
    It isn't a secret that Turkish maker Vestel is the main source for these.
    Why on earth do they make CRTs, you are of course correct, the answer is for the immediate future they need to retain market share. The hope is that when the Digital issue is resolved and LCDs and Plasmas become more affordable business will improve.

stranger,
    Customers want to buy at bottom dollar whilst expecting perfection.
    If the sets were built better they would be even more expensive than now. All televisions are built to a price with corners cut wherever possible.
    It used to be a case of putting a model to market relying on the retailer's service department to fix teething problems. Mail order purchaser's often return the set for replacement, quite rightly.
    The returns greatly increase the operating costs for the makers and they are fed back into retailer's as graded stock.
    If you can buy a Toshiba 36" CRT mail order, saving hundreds of pounds, set it up correctly, and experience no service problems that would be perfect.
    For most, paying the extra and having the set installed with full service back-up, say by John Lewis, will be a happier outcome, especially if a price match can be obtained.
    Anyone buying mail order that is satisfied, that's fine. I prefer the local approach.

15. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know how business works, i used to own a couple, quality control is the main downfall,if one cheap set works properly it's identical twins should too.