1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail forwarding/hosting type query

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dave N, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perhaps a bit off topic (not hardware) but it is a PC related query and you folk may be able to help....

Have domain name registered via company called UKREG with email forwarding to a BTInternet mail server which i connect to with a client on my PC.
    Problem is unreliability of receiving and sending emails. Not sure where the problem is as it seems v inconsistent .... does anybody have suggestions to improve this - I suspect UKREG - can i simpy move the mail forwading to another "operator"? if so who/how.

Thanks
    Dave

2. tjcronin

tjcronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, the way I think it works, UKREG register your domain, ie www.test.com. What they then do is register some extra records associated with this domain. For example the MX or mail exchange record. What UKREG do is that they point this MX record to where you want your mail to go (an IP address).

Mail servers around the world use this information to know where to send the mail associated with your domain.

One thing that could cause mail to be unreliable, is that if the server that registers your MX record (at UKREG) is switched off (or is otherwise unreliable) then that registration lapses.

You can check if that registration is working by inputing your domain details at http://www.demon.net/external/

Hope this helps a bit - Tim

3. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dave

I have a couple of domains thru UK reg.. most of the time they are okay, but i have noticed recently that when i try and connect to the accounts that are forwarded on from my domain it has been having problems.
    maybe they are doing some upgrades at the mo. although if you say its inconsistant then maybe it could also be at the BT side of things. (after all they did loose their website for a few days last month):D
    It maybe worth setting up the forwarding to another mail account other than BT , then testto see it the problem is still there