Question Magni 3 vs SMSL Audio sAp ii pro

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MartinGH1369, Aug 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi.

I just got a Magni 3 from Schiit.
    My previous amp is an SMSL Audio sAp ii pro.
    I am finding that the SMSL amp is louder even though the spec sheet of the Magni 3 says it is much more powerful (unless I'm misreading?)

SMSL specs: Power output: 1000 mW @ 32 ohms, 300 mW @ 120 ohms, 150 mW @ 250 ohms, 80 mW @ 600 ohms

Magni 3 specs:
    Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.3W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW;RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 230mW RMS per channel

Am I misreading/misunderstanding the specs? I don't have the finest grasp of electrical measurements.

Cheers.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    What headphones (and impedance of them) are you using?

3. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi Jaycee.
    I am using two pairs, the problem is evident in both and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to Ohm.
    I am using HD650s which are 300 ohm and I am using Philips Fidelio X2HRs which are 30 ohm.

4. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Any of these amplifers output a voltage.. it is the voltage which ultimately makes things loud. When the voltage is driven into a load..or a resistance, it forces a current to flow and the product of voltage by current produces an electric power in watts. The power developed is Watts = Voltage X Voltage / resistance of the load. .
    So according to those figures, the Magi is capable of generating a voltage of about 8 volts into a high resistance load, and 7 volts into a low resistance load.
    The figure for the smsl are that it is capable of about 5.6 volts into any of the loads....
    So on paper the Magi is more powerful.
    But there is another consideration, the Smsl may have more gain than the Magi, so that a larger signal strength is required to drive the Magi to its full power potential. There are a few standards for a line input in existence, and the older one would be 0.775 v input for full power, whereas more recent products are expected an input signal of 1 or even 2 volts.