Magnets and mobiles

liveforav

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Crazy question here but ive just made a mountain bike mount for my samsung s3. Ive used a flexible phone cover and two magnets out of an old hdd. Its 'clicks' nicely in place on my headstock and seems to work a treat.

However, im a little worried the magnet will damage my phone. According to the compas function its strength is about 1700ut, but whats that really mean.. is it strong, and does it even matter?

uploadfromtaptalk1375213269693.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, mods any chance you can move this to the mobile forum?

it will be my pleasure :D

A couple of years back I bought a phone case for my phone that had a strap with a magnetic thing to hold it in place. I was concerned about this too but when I asked people online the general consensus seemed to be that it would not cause any problems because phones use flash memory and it is mainly the hard drives of computers that get damaged by magnets. My phone screen did start going a bit weird though so I stopped using it, not sure if that was related to the magnet. I guess it could potentially cause some problems as phones are electrical devices and magnets may disrupt this.

I always used magnets on the car dash but stopped as smart phones started coming out. However my brother started again with his iPhone 5 recently so I did the same with my Xperia Z without incident.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom