1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnetic shielding (yet again)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RossG, Jul 2, 2003.

1. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We are on the cusp of moving house and the TV will have to sit in the corner in the new place :-(

The upshot of this is that our left and right front speakers will have to sit next to the TV. We have a 32PW6006 which has in built speakers
    left and right so I'm wondering if the TV will already contain some form of magnetic shielding.

Has anyone got a similar setup, and if so did they experience any problems? Finigers crossed I wont have to wrap my speakers in tin foil! :)

Cheers

Ross

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It may well have a bit of shielding round it's own internal speakers,which,being relatively small,will have small magnets to match,and pose little in the way of shielding problems.
    As to placing the TV next to external speakers....if the speakers magnets are unshielded,then at close range you may well have serious problems.
    To give you an example,in my last house I used a set of (unshielded)Linn Keltiks and couldn't place the Sony TV we had then within 1 metre of them without serious problems.
    Tin foil won't help by the way!

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    AFAIK there is no way of shielding unshielded speakers.

That said, my B&W 602's and my Velo CHT15 can get well within the usual half metre minimum distance before affecting the tv.

The only answer is to try your speakers (or the ones you will use) in-situ and see how close they can get to your tv before causing problems.

4. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

I was joking about the tin foil BTW however it does beg the question, are shielded L&R speakers available? I'll be splitting the surround sound system from the rest of my separates so I'll need new speakers anyway.

Ross

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Shielded speakers are made by having another magnet behind the driving one in the opposite direction to cancel the field (hence tin foil not helping!).

There are quite a few shielded speakers available, as far as I know from my end of the market, most new speakers are shielded, such as the new Kefs and Missions. B&W and Wharfedales in general aren't (except for the centre speakers). Which leads me to say that if you've got a sub, 2 centre speakers would work as L&R channels plus you'd have a fairly seamless front soundstage since the front 3 will be identical!

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try here CPC

7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have not heard of shielding being done with another magnet, I am used to seeing a metal shield around the magnet this contains/guides (does not canlcel) the magnetic field.

Most suppliers specify whether or not the speakers are shielded, even if they are you have to be careful as large speakers even shielded ones can not be put too close to a TV, I would not put my 603's within 1/2 meter of my TV, and they ARE shielded.

Just to be pedantic I believe tin foil is actually made with aluminium which is not ferrous and therefore will not affect magnetic fields.:laugh:

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I tried a biscuit tin lid and it worked. Didn't look so hot glued to the side of the speaker though!! :D

I relegated my old mission 733's Floor standers to 28in TV duties in the living room when I got Mission M74's for the HC room. Placed about 10-11 inches from screen edge(not tv frame) I got a little staining either side. Damn I thought, "Foiled again!!" :D Then just for a laugh I switched them around (left to right, right to left) and the staining disappeared!! The mag field must be stronger in a particular direction or summat! :D

9. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16