1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

magnetic sheilding

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kev12, May 13, 2002.

1. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    just bought a Loewe Vitros to replace my old Panasonic.
    Absolutely superb TV, but I've one problem. Due to space restrictions, the main speakers in my system have to go quite close to theTV[about 0.75m].
    The Panasonic didn't seem to mind but the Loewe does!
    The speakers are B&W 602 S2's, and my question is, is there any way of sheilding them? I've got a vague idea of using thin lead sheet inside the speaker cabinet.
    Does anyone think this will work or have any other suggestions?

Regards,
    Kev

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    When a speaker is magnetically shielded, it is in fact the driver magnets that are shielded. This stops the magnetic field at the source.

I think you'll have difficulty shielding them unless you can encase the speakers totally (on the inside or outside) – something I expect you will not want to do!

You will have to move them at least 50cm from the TV. (Or you could by a plasma! :))

It's a real shame about the DM600 series not being shielded; a strange omission from a range that is supposed to be AV targeted. I'm interested in the DM604's for my fronts and rears but I realise that they are not shielded and they are going to create problems with my TV if too close.

Mark

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Speakers are actually not "shielded", but another magnet is added to the driver to cancel out the magnetic field.

This can normally be done to any speaker, either DIY or ask your dealer/manufacturer if you are not a "handy-man".

Do not use any metallic materials as they will get magnetized themselves and thus become useless, not to mention they might affect the sound waves in the cabinet and thus the sound quality.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,510
    Kev what trouble is the speakers causing? If it is geometry problems it is probably not the speakers, colour staining is an other matter.
    There is some metal that provides magnetic shielding but you will have a hard time getting hold of it, one use is to protect instrumentation in aviation etc. and is called something like Mu (pronounced mew) Metal. If you ever find a cheap source, please post it.
    An other solution if you cannot move the speakers to the side move them forwards.

5. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i sold my LCR60S3. The chap who bought it, was going to use it as a front along with another R60. This could be a way round it. It is an L/C/R speaker after all, wit a port at the back, and a 130watts. Looked ok on my nexus 6 stands to :)

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've just learned that the 600 series subwoofers (ASW600, ASW650 and ASW675) are not shielded either, which limits their ability to be placed near any sensitive TVs. Does anyone know if the ASW2500 is shielded?

Main speakers not being shielded are bad enough, but the Sub not being shielded is a real pain.

Mark

7. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Its definately colour staining, and as I mentioned, the speakers can't be positioned anywhere else but where they're causing the problem!
    Think I'll follow Reiner's advice and call the local Sevenoaks to see if they can sort me.
    Thanks for the replys,
    Kev.

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Kev,
    Please keep us updated.
    Mark

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,510
    Kev12 be sure to switch the tv of at night and unplug from the mains this will help de-gauss(?spelling) the screen, but you still have a long term problem

10. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    contacted local sevenoaks, no help there, ditto the B&W website, who basically recomend not to mess about with the driver shielding.
    Apparently the series 3's aren't shielded either, so I had a look at the B&W LM-1's. These are very nice looking, slim, and are £125 each. Didn't have time to audition(shop was full!), anyone reccomend these?

Rgards Kev.

11. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The only way to remove this problem is to obtain a product called Mu-Metal, it looks just like sheet steel but stops magnetic interference dead.

I ahve used it on several occasions with 100% success, it's not cheap though, and don't know exactly where you would source some from, get hunting on the web.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,510
    So I was right then. The last time I was told of a source I think it was somewhere like the Philippines? I think it is sold by the square cm.