1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnetic interference from unshielded sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Koosnaff, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people, its been a while.

Finally got my Denon and Mission Cinema 6 pack, but need some advie on the sub. It appears that the sub is unshielded .When setting up the same speaker package for my brother in law, we found that if the sub was near the TV, it produced EMC interference and made coloured circles appear. Now my problem is that the only place to put my sub is about 50cm under (directly) the TV, and right next to my sky digibox, which I am sure is going to cause a problem (planning to fit it all at the weekend) I know it would be appear easier to have the sub elsewhere, but trust me, it just can't happen. I'm after some advice as to where I can buy some EMC shielding foil (MuMetal or the like) so that I can line the cabinet that the sub will be next to to shield the TV and digibox.

Any advice as ever warmly appreciated

Paul

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    Just wondering (as I know nothing about shielding) can you wrap the magnet on the speaker to shield, or reduce the amount of stray magnetic fields, and would it interfere with the performance of the speaker?

:cool: Ruby quartz shades

3. action man

action man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might find mu-metal expensive but got a link for you
    try:
    www.edmo.com

[ 27-07-2001: Message edited by: rob ]

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    Tried that site, you can get it but its sold by the inch. As Rob said it sounds expensive. Also I have been told the code for the phone is in Haiti.
    Can you get MuMetal in the UK Rob.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

5. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps - thanks for the responses.

I have spent all day today fitting kit, cabling, putting together hi fi cabinets etc (you know the drill) and it appears after some serious testing, that there is in fact no interference at all. Strange that my brother in law had a problem with the same kit, but then come to think of it, he said he noticed magnetic interference on the TV even when he moved the Denon unit very close to it. Makes me wonder if there is no shielding inside of his TV, which I would find strange as he has quite an expensive Sony one, and my current TV (soon to be replaced with a widescreen) is a Philips about 10 years old!

Anyway, not to worry but thanks for the replies anyway ...

6. action man

action man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi garrett
    sorry no idea mate, it`s the only link i have regarding mu-metal. could try u.k stockists of mu-metal in the uk on various search engines. good luck.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    Koosnaff, don't take this as gospel, but I'm sure I read on these pages that new set are more prone to magnetic interference (you would think it would be the other way round).
    Thanks for the tip Rob.

Curse that Magneto.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.