1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnetic fields affecting televisions?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chalky, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Chalky

Chalky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

I think I have a nasty magnetic field in my room. I was all set to send my television back because the geometry was so bad (picture sloped from left to right and the corners looked pinched) when I accidently turned it on while moving it.

Suddenly the picture became MUCH better. The geometry still isn't perfect but it is watchable now...EXCEPT I think I have another problem (also a magnetic field?). I get really bad smearing on bright (white) colours moving across a dark background. If a bright image appears on screen, it hangs around for about half a second after, producing a smearing or ghosting affect. This makes films such as Sleepy Hollow or Buffy the Vampire Slayer almost unwatchable. Sometimes at night I also get discoloration down one side of the screen of a purple colour. My set is nowhere near speakers of any kind but is near a metal frame desk.

I thought it might be the contrast, but with RGB this can't be adjusted. Even in composite the only way to get rid of it is the make the picture so dark that you can't actually see it.

Have I permanently damaged my set by having it within this magnetic field? Does anyone even think that there IS a magnetic field. I haven't been using it much at all as it is a bedroom set and I will soon be moving

My setup is a Toshiba SD100E dvd player connected via RGB Scart (have tried composite and S-VIDEO) to a JVC 28WT5EKS television. I have tested this problem with the following DVDs. Sleepy Hollow, The Matrix, Sixth Sense, A Bugs Life, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Any help/suggestions would REALLY be appreciated. If there is a problem with the television I would rather get rid of it BEFORE I move!

thanks in advance,

Ryan.

2. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be you TV needs deguassing. This means switching the TV off using the off switch on the TV set for about an hour and switching it on again.<br />Also try moving the TV to a different part of the room or another room to see if the problem is still there, maybe the magnetic field only occurs in one part of you house.<br />Finally call an engineer out.

3. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Sony 32inch used to do this. The picture tilt would change depending what corner of the room it was in. Luckily you had a tlit adjustment on it. Never had the problem with other Tv's so i guess some are affected worse than others.

Mark