Magnet Fishing

hyperfish

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I don't do it myself but I am mildly interested. Anyone here tried it? What's the the legalities of it regarding a permit or whatever?

Its the first I have heard of it but it does look interesting I agree

Used to have a set when I was very young, used to play it with my sister and mum. Something like this, but mine wasn't as posh as this.

IMG_0479.JPG

Can't see the attraction for an adult though :)

But looking at the video two things spring to mind

1) most of the things you really want to find aren't magnetic
2) cold case, brutal murder finally solved. Man sent down for life after fingerprints found on the murder weapons - protests his innocence :)

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Common sense would say, people would actually like this to be done, as it's pulling metallic junk out of the pond/canal/stream, and that can only be a good thing yes?

That said, I suppose someone's going to get upset about it.

I do imagine, it could be VERY uneventful unless it's in a location where a LOT of people are "over water" like a wooden jetty that people are always walking to and fro over.

Pulling out a find would be great but I bet the shopping trolleys and junk gets tossed back, or left on the bank.

Just so we're clear, we are not going to feed the local fish ball bearings right ? and then try and catch them with magnets no ?
:blush:

Even the sword - I share its excitement - but in that condition, unless it is extremely rare or has some provenance I doubt it would be worth more than £100. Still good for free but imagine how many hours he spent on the side of the bank chucking that magnet in the river before he found that.

If you look at antique sword sales you can find 18c and 19c swords in excellent condition complete with scabbards for around £250.

Cheers,

Nigel

I can't help thinking those knives he found were part of some crime that was committed and dumped.
It would be interesting to magnet fish in some American rivers, say New York. Probably find hundreds of guns.

Even the sword - I share its excitement - but in that condition, unless it is extremely rare or has some provenance I doubt it would be worth more than £100. Still good for free but imagine how many hours he spent on the side of the bank chucking that magnet in the river before he found that.

If you look at antique sword sales you can find 18c and 19c swords in excellent condition complete with scabbards for around £250.

Cheers,

Nigel
Still millions times more productive than actual fishing :)

Man, you're full of good ideas :laugh:
Yeah and it was MY idea, right ! :nono:

I'm off round the lake now, I'll be back with my catch later.

I'll also be talking with Discovery channel to see if I can get a few seasons out of it, "Surreys Magnetic Catch" :smashin:
I may have some issues with Greenpeace, but I'll deal with that when needed.

How do I change my name to Bobby or Buck ? :confused:

I don't do it myself but I am mildly interested. Anyone here tried it? What's the the legalities of it regarding a permit or whatever?

Strong username to post correlation.

I can't help thinking those knives he found were part of some crime that was committed and dumped.

I can't help thinking some of those objects were attached to the magnet when he chucked it in. :devil:

Try doing the same in some parts of Eastern Europe and what can come out of old ponds, ditches and marsh area's is a real eye opener.

Now I'm interested. Do tell. If its family friendly of coarse.

It is family friendly.

Lots of weapons were thrown away as troops rushed back to Germany and from those that fell going in and chasing out.

@McVicar Things gone out of hand quickly round the lake, I only had large ball bearings, so I suppose my prey was going to be limited :eek:
0pehtvqzfrq4g20hrqyo.jpeg

So, if I go down the local pond and throw in a spool of DuckTape ?

Cheers,

Nigel
I think he did say that he only records a fraction of his attempts. Regarding values, I don't see it as a commercial venture, just a bit of fun. Although that will probably wear thin if I keep hooking nothing, or worse still prams and bike frames.

edit: magnet ordered.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom