Magnavox issues and sound

Real1

Novice Member
On my six yr old Magnavox, the only sound OUT other than the headphone jack, is a digital optical audio jack. So bear with me....I bought an extractor from Amazon.....the first one. That was before I even found the digital optical audio OUT jack. Anyway, I had the extractor hooked up directly to my Blu-ray player and got wonderful stereo from the RCA OUT jacks to my stereo receiver.

After I found the digital optical audio jack, I bought another extractor. This time it had digital optical audio IN side x side with HDMI IN. I thought this was exactly what I needed. It had two HDMI OUTs and the RCA OUTs. BUT.....the digital optical audio was dead to the RCA jacks. To verify that my TV's output was working, I bought a soundbar with digital optical audio IN. Worked fine on the TV's PCM sound setting. Sooooo....figuring my extractor was faulty, I returned it back to Amazon.

I promise this post is coming to an end.....Next replacement extractor did the same thing....no audio through the RCA OUTs from the digital optical audio IN. Goal is to input an extractor with both HDMI from my Blu-ray and digital optical audio from the TV. I use two different HDMI inputs for that into the TV, so no conflict there.

IS THERE such an extractor??

Kevin

JayCee

Distinguished Member
We've never had Magnavox branded products here in the UK (and possibly Europe) other than reel to reel tape recorders years ago.
I believe Philips products are branded as Magnavox in the US.
Can you provide a link to the extractor you’ve bought from Amazon?

mikej

DACs that come with mixed (HDMI/coaxial/SPDIF) digital inputs and analogue RCA outputs are common, so there is no obvious reason why the SPDIF-in and RCA-out combination wouldn't work.

One thing I'm not clear on is why the second DAC you bought had two HDMI outputs - I can maybe understand why one might possibly be used as some kind of 'pass through' but not sure why a DAC would need two ?

If your TV has an ARC-enabled HDMI input, then that would give you another option for outputting audio - you'd just need to make sure you buy a DAC that accepts an HDMI-ARC signal.

As examples such as this have an input selector switch, then obviously selecting the correct input is crucial in getting it to work. This also means that connecting two devices at once will require manual switching which will be a pain - you could always consider using two separate DACs, with each one specific to the conversion you require. If any of the DACs you bought didn't have an input selector switch, then it's possible that you can only have one input connected at once. If that's the case, you could temporarily try connecting the TV's optical out without the Blu-ray player's HDMI connected, to confirm it's working.

Personally, I would put the money you're spending on DACs towards a new receiver - if it's an AVR without HDMI inputs, then it must be well over 10 years old and if it's a (stereo) hi-fi amp then it won't be doing your Blu-rays justice. Either way, I suspect you'll be fighting a losing battle to keep it connected as time goes on, so it's definitely something to consider.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Like JayCee I thought of an audio device when you said Magnavox but it does sound like you might be referring to a TV instead.

Anything branded as an 'extractor' is going to be primarily focused on splitting or combining a signal whereas it sounds like your aim is a a straight conversion of a S/PDIF audio signal into an analogue audio signal. While some of them undoubtedly have that capability, it's not something you can assume all of the ones with the appropriate inputs will do.

Real1

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies so far! Yes it is a TV....lol. I've tried the extractor with just the optical digital audio hooked up...nothing.

I don't understand why it has the two HDMI OUT's either. They are labeled 1 & 2. If we are to assume the probability of having two bad extractors in a row is unlikely, I feel these two HDMI outputs may have something to do with this issue. No, there is no switch on the device other than 2channel and 5.1.

Yes, I could buy an extractor just with the digital optical IN and RCA OUT. My stereo is high dollar vintage....the TV sound OUT is not that important to me to buy a newer preamp. I also have only one AUX available on my preamp, so I don't want to be plugging and unplugging the RCA leads to two different extractors. However, it would be no big deal for me to get up and flip a small switch on an extractor to have one or the other. As I confirmed earlier with the soundbar that I bought and took back(thank you Walmart), the digital optical audio OUT works fine with the TV set to PCM in the SOUND settings.

As far as the HDMI-ARC....HDMI 1 on the TV set is supposed to be HDMI-ARC(input only), if that helps any. That also happens to be what the Blu-ray player is hooked to. Could you elaborate on how that would be useful in my scenario?

I certainly would be willing to pay more for a DAC other than these little Chinese s*** boxes with no instructions. They put the specs on the box the extractor came in...that's it.

Amazon is being weird about copying the link. It's the Tendak unit at the top of the page....:
Amazon.com : Tendak 1X2 4K HDMI Splitter with HDMI Audio Extractor + Optical and R/L Audio Output Powered Splitter 1 in 2 Out Signal Distributor Support 3D for PS4 Xbox One DVD Blu-ray Player HD TV Projector

Kevin

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That device (the “Tendak” extractor/splitter in your Amazon link) only has an optical output from an HDMI input…it does not have an optical input. You won't get any sound from it using the optical out from your TV.
It's intended use is to take an HDMI input from a device (Game console, Blu-ray, Satellite or Cable TV receiver) and feed a TV and a Projector from the 2 HDMI outputs and feed the sound from the Optical out or RCA audio outputs to an amp.

Real1

Novice Member
Well, on the input side it has both the HDMI IN and the digital optical IN, so not sure what you mean. Obviously, it's not working for what I want it to do, so no argument there. But....PLEASE recommend another DAC unit that you think will serve my purpose.

Kevin

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Well, on the input side it has both the HDMI IN and the digital optical IN, so not sure what you mean. Obviously, it's not working for what I want it to do, so no argument there. But....PLEASE recommend another DAC unit that you think will serve my purpose.

Kevin
Nope, if you look at the second pic of the product on the Amazon page you can see clearly underneath is printed “Optical Toshlink Output”
Remind me again what you are trying to achieve?
If all you want to do is get sound from all sources on your TV to your amp using the RCA Aux input on your amp any DAC will do that.

Last edited:

Real1

Novice Member
Nope, if you look at the second pic of the product on the Amazon page you can see clearly underneath is printed “Optical Toshlink Output”
Remind me again what you are trying to achieve?
I'm trying to run both the audio HDMI OUT from my Blu-ray AND audio OUT from my TV to my vintage stereo with the one RCA AUX preamp input. I don't care if I havce to get up and throw a switch on the DAC to do that as I watch either TV or Blu-ray.

The only audio out on my TV is the digital optical audio OUT. I do have the HDMI-ARC input on my HDMI #1 port in the TV.

Kevin

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You cannot use HDMI ARC from your TV if your amp doesn’t have ARC.
Connect your Blu-ray to your TV via HDMI.
Connect a DAC to your TV's optical out and use the RCA out from the DAC to your amp's Aux input.

Real1

Novice Member
You cannot use HDMI ARC from your TV if your amp doesn’t have ARC.
Connect your Blu-ray to your TV via HDMI.
Connect a DAC to your TV's optical out and use the RCA out from the DAC to your amp's Aux input.
OK that makes sense....I think. Then I can use my TV remote and go to SOURCE and pick which HDMI I want to use.....great solution.

But....I think this was suggested once by one of my friends and it was said there's a possibility I can lose picture quality and sound quality going back through my TV like that with the Blu-ray. Is that correct or does it depends on my TV's circuit quality(this was not an expensive TV)?

Kevin

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You cannot lose picture quality going direct from your Blu-ray player to your TV and unless you have a surround sound setup the most you can get is stereo from your TV.

mikej

JayCee's last suggestion is the most straight-forward solution and all you'll need is a DAC with a minimum of an optical in and RCA out.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but the likes of Amazon sell DACs from cheap, generic Chinese brands for as little as $15 right through to audiophile hi-fi DACs for hundreds of dollars. I suspect there may be a sweet spot (in terms of price vs quality) somewhere in between.

Real1

Novice Member
Thanks All, especially JayCee. I'm on my way back to UPS to send this last extractor back. I ordered a simple digital optical audio IN to RCA OUT DAC. It comes Wed. I also realized that I DO have another input on my preamp....the tuner input. I hate today's radio stations and programming, so I don't even own a separate tuner.

This would allow me to run another set of RCA cables to my preamp from the new DCA that's coming. Or put the Blu-ray's sound through the TV and just use the new DAC's RCA's to my preamp.

If I don't lose any picture or stereo sound quality through the TV, I might just stay with the one DAC that's coming.....that configuration anyway.

Kevin

Last edited:

Real1

Novice Member
JayCee's last suggestion is the most straight-forward solution and all you'll need is a DAC with a minimum of an optical in and RCA out.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but the likes of Amazon sell DACs from cheap, generic Chinese brands for as little as $15 right through to audiophile hi-fi DACs for hundreds of dollars. I suspect there may be a sweet spot (in terms of price vs quality) somewhere in between.
There probably is, but every time I Google search for anything other than the Chinese s*** box extractors, all roads lead back to them. So If I can get this setup to work.....I've bought some time to find a better DAC.

I'm rearranging the entire living room in the future and hopefully, components will be closer together and differently arranged. The speakers are behind me now while I watch TV and that's a little disconcerting.

Kevin

mikej

If I don't lose any picture or stereo sound quality through the TV, I might just stay with the one DAC that's coming.....that configuration anyway.
Connecting your Blu-ray player directly to the TV via HDMI will give you the best quality picture possible - how you choose to route the sound will have no effect on picture quality, so no worries there.

Real1

Novice Member
Yea! Have TV digital optical audio into my vintage stereo. Thanks again All, for the help!

I've looked for something between the Chinese s*** boxes and some audiophile DAC.....I cannot find anything. Ten dollars more for one with a volume control.....that's about it.

Kevin

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom