Magix acquire Sony Vegas.....

That news is a bit of a bombshell. I suppose Sony has seen the volume of video software sales falling as the use of consumer camcorders declines.

Perhaps the readout of the timecode in Panasonic MP4 files will be better under Magix. Currently Vegas doesn't display the correct shooting time in each frame, only the relative time since the start of the clip.

Dan.

Last edited:
Magix ann. Berlin 23 May 2016 - takeover ( Read merge?) Vegas pro and Studio offerings . . . and will continue to support Sony-customers to ensure . . . .
+ Magix intends to release new Editing products later 2016 . . .
[ DYOR ].

Well, that reads well; - Let's hope it works out in practice . . . it will be interesting to see how they tackle the Pro-products as I'm less sure about some of the Magix "Easy" products, taking the route of a complete change. so making it very difficult for anyone to move-up to a conventional//serious Editor.
That was one reason I liked Movie Studio - as the Vegas-route would be quite easy . . . and as a bonus the Webinars were more-or-less similar, at least until you delved into those "Extra features".

Magix could be very clever and grab the Market of those that don't want a Subscription-model ( This includes Adobe ) - Folks preferring to buy the software from time-to-time as Family//Funds allow.... or when they up-grade their Camcorder, perhaps.... since this needs a "more-powerful" Editor.

This could be a Magix Ace opportunity . . . as folks grapple with an easy-route to Edit 4K . . . before there are enough 4K projectors ( and TV's) about..... maybe we need to Edit with HD//Proxy and then parallel-Render two files: 1) 4K and 2) HD, so we are covered now and into the Future.

Sony already has its own Subscription-Model "Catalyst" although I never was tempted to look into it, - such was//is Sony's grasp of Marketing . . . .
. . . All above IMHO . . . and I'm often wrong, it seems.

Last edited:
Personally I hope that at long last Sony Vegas Pro will import camcorder clips with 5.1 intact. The current offerings insist on remixing to stereo. To get 5.1 that works in DVDA pro I have to follow this convoluted workflow,

Edit in Magix Pro X6, output as mpeg4 with 5.1 audio. Export multichannel PCM audio from Magix Pro X6.

Open file in Sony Vegas Pro 12, export audio only as ac3 5.1 pro (other formats have no audio on blu-ray burns from DVDA pro).

Open original mpeg4 from Magix in DVDA, import ac3 5.1 pro and delete original audio.

Master blu-ray as normal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom