1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic View scaler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by couchspud, May 24, 2005.

1. couchspud

couchspud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone of you tell me if this would enhance my picture quality, particularly sky+?

I've got a V1 box and looked into getting it SDI modded, but then found the cost. :eek: :eek:

I stumbled across this scaler, which is 'only' £299. It takes a 'normal' input (non SDI!) and outputs in glorious progressive. Would I gain anything though?

I'd be feeding sky+ RGB into an Panasonic E55 and taking the component output into the scaler. This would then feed component into my 36zp48's EXT4.

Is there any point though?

Many thanks.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe...U=AV10391&N=411

Here's the specs:
    Magic-View Scaler/Deinterlacer Other Product Images
    With the CRC-200 you can up-convert composite, S-VHS or YCbCr component to high resolution PC or HDTV output. The output to a PC will go from VGA to SXGA (1280x1024) whilst the HDTV output provides a choice from 480P, 576P, 720P and 1080i. It is ideal to bring out the best in your LCD projector, CRT/LCD monitor, plasma or HDTV display.

Professional quality video scaler/deinterlacer

State of the art frame buffer technology

Reverse 3:2/2:2 pull down

Digital noise reduction

The 3D comb filter is switchable on/off

Brightness, colour, contrast, sharpness and tint adjustment

4:3 or 16:9 output

Supports PAL and NTSC input

External RS232 control (9way D)

Connections: Input - 1x BNC composite, 1x S-VHS and 3x BNC YCrCb Output - 1x 15way Hi-D

Supplied with remote control

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't have any experience of that particular model, but there is always a reason when something is cheaper than it should be. Video Processing is not something that can be done cheaply, well. It can be done cheap and give the figures (720p, progressive scan, HDTV or whatever) but not necessarily actually be a very nice image. Cheaper made products also add the risk of a potentially worse image with low quality PSUs, DACS etc.

However, I think CPC have a returns system that often doesn't ask why your sending something back...

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    If it is for scaling Sky and not for a proper DVD / WXGA projector full blown home cinema hub solution, and that is your budget, then I would get something like that.
    Does that have a remote though? It looks like basically the same scaler as my AV-Tools jobby, for which I paid just over 100 quid secondhand.
    If that is your budget then I'd probably suggest the Zinwell BLS3000, or one of the similar models (next one up from mine) as a slightly more comprehensive and still cheap solution - we can't all afford a Lumagen as entry level ;)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    couchspud

How does your set up 'look' if you connect SKY+ directly to your TV and not via the DVD-Recorder?

I find a lot of the DVD-Recorders (especially some of the RGB to YUV conversion jobs) tend to Output a fairly 'soft' picture via YUV.

Whilst your TV has a YUV Input and I guess one that can accept a Progressive YUV source its still an Interlaced TV - adding an external device to convert Interlaced RGB to Progressive YUV will then result in the TV reconverting the Progressive YUV signal to an Interlaced RGB signal before it displays an image; that's an awful lot of video processing.

If SKY+ looks better as RGB Direct to the TV I'd suggest a relatively low cost solution is to add a JS Technology 1:2 RGB SCART splitter to the Output of the SKY+ box and send independent signals to the TV and DVD-Recorder and hook the DVD-Recorder directly to the TV on a second SCART (or the YUV Input).

Best regards

Joe