Magic remote frustrations after Sky Q install

zed4

Hi,

I had Sky Q fitted the other day. It replaced the old Sky +

The LG Magic Remote has been working fine up until the new Sky arrived. Now it seems to work fine for a while, but after using the Sky Q remote for a while, the LG magic remote seems to get deregistered from the TV, so only the infrared functions work, and not the cursor.

To get it to work I have to get the TV to forget the remote, then unplug the TV, switch it back on and repair it!

Any ideas what the problem might be and how I can fix it for good?

Many thanks

bobbymax

I have an occasional problem with my remote also.
The Pointer/curser goes wonky (for want of a better word :D), and then stops altogether.
I have to press the "guide" button for 5 secs, which sorts it out, until it happens again.
Would be good to hear from anyone who can sort it for good.

bobbymax

Hi,

I had Sky Q fitted the other day. It replaced the old Sky +

The LG Magic Remote has been working fine up until the new Sky arrived. Now it seems to work fine for a while, but after using the Sky Q remote for a while, the LG magic remote seems to get deregistered from the TV, so only the infrared functions work, and not the cursor.

To get it to work I have to get the TV to forget the remote, then unplug the TV, switch it back on and repair it!

Any ideas what the problem might be and how I can fix it for good?

Many thanks

Forgot to say....I don't have Sky, just FreeSat.

sauspud

Standard Member
With the magic remote, you can set up universal remote for inputs like Sky Q.
Don't do this. If you have done this, you can delete the universal remote settings and this should fix the issues.

zed4

Don't do this. If you have done this, you can delete the universal remote settings and this should fix the issues.

Have tried both the above fixes. Still doesn’t work reliably. Thought I had fixed it by resetting the Sky remote and rebooting the TV, but came back to it this afternoon and the LG remote doesn’t work again.

Having all sorts of frustrating issues actually. Recently bought a new Denon AVR-X4500H and that’s now doing random things. Sometimes doesn’t pick up the Sky box, have to turn it off and back on again, and sometimes randomly boots up the PS4 or Blu-ray player for no reason. All since Sky was installed.

Wishing I could go back to my old amp before CEC switching and old infrared remotes!!

sauspud

Standard Member
If you only have 1 Sky Q box, then try this..
On the Sky box, go to settings, don't select it. Instead press 0, 0, 1 then select. A installers menu appears. In here find the wifi settings and switch off the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi signals.
It's these signals that might be interfering with the remote and sound bar.
Can't think of anything else that might be the cause.
I've got Sky Q and an LG nanocell TV and have no issues.

zed4

Tried varous things including resetting the Sky remote, resetting the LG Macig remote, etc. Problem kept recurring. I finally seem to have sorted it by performing a complete factory reset on the TV, which was a bit annoying as I had to log back into all my apps, and re-enter all the TV settings.

I've not set up the Sky remote to control the TV, or vice versa, and it all seems to work ok for now.

richardr

Can you explain what you meant by this? Would this not mean that the magic remote wouldn't work with the Sky Q box?

sauspud

Standard Member
Can you explain what you meant by this? Would this not mean that the magic remote wouldn't work with the Sky Q box?
Yes, you can use the sky remote to control sound, source input etc for the TV.
But if you want to use the magic remote to control the sky box, you can set it up, but there is no rewind or fast forward buttons on the magic remote.

richardr

Thanks - I'm happy using the magic remote, so will keep it. One alternative to the fast forward, fast rewind, is using the circle in the centre of the remote - it moves forward or backward by multiples of a minute at a time, and is usually quicker than fast forwarding through ad breaks, etc.

bobbymax

I agree The magic remote has a lot of benefits (especially when using the "Search" option) until the cursor/pointer goes wobbly or disappears
That frustrates me more than anything else on this TV (so far)
Does anyone know how to fix this?

sauspud

Standard Member
Normally I just scroll the wheel and it's back and fine. Seems like an auto cutout feature that is over zealous.

bobbymax

hopefully, you're correct.
But I did see a pop-up saying something like...." the remote is not working, please press "Guide" for 5 secs to reset" That appears to work until the next time.
frustrating!!!

bobbymax

Good idea..... a software update.
should I just wait for it to upload automatically

bobbymax

OK sir, will do.🖖

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom