Magic Eyes Don't Like the Dark!

Camax

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

For the last 15 years I have been using a Pace box in the loft serving three TVs around the house each with a magic eye. Worked perfectly until last month. All three magic eyes work fine during the day until it gets dark outside then none of them work! The only way I can change channels etc is to go into the loft and point the remote at the box or press the buttons on the box. I've read the Ultimate Guide and checked for interference etc but no luck. Any ideas much appreciated.
thanks
Camax

Do you have street lamps near to your house? They are notorious for emitting RF interference and the magic eyes work by sending the remote signals back down the coax using VHF RF. Do the magic eyes stop working when the street lamps go on?

Can't say I've ever had problems with magic eyes be it light or dark to be honest in 15 years or so.

Thanks both. There is a street light about 50 yards away so I will check that out but it's been there for last 15 years when the eyes have worked fine. Maybe it's time to upgrade the Pace box.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It certainly is time to replace the machine or the eyes or both!

Thanks both. There is a street light about 50 yards away so I will check that out but it's been there for last 15 years when the eyes have worked fine. Maybe it's time to upgrade the Pace box.
When the lamps start failing (can take a long time to completely fail) is when they emit RF.

When the street light is on take a transistor radio close to the ballast unit (tuned to the VHF band) in the base of the light. If it's faulty you should detect it. Contact your local council.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It certainly is time to replace the machine or the eyes or both!

Magic Eyes are such a simple device, they will work or not. Why would it being dark affect this, if anything it would help ? Basically the explanation is most likely a rogue source of rf in the VHF band.

Indeed, but my remark remains - anything as old as 15 years deserves to be replaced.

Do you have street lamps near to your house? They are notorious for emitting RF interference and the magic eyes work by sending the remote signals back down the coax using VHF RF. Do the magic eyes stop working when the street lamps go on?
Had something similar a few years ago, some temporary traffic lights were set-up for some road works and they messed up the magic eye I had at the time.

Solved the problem. I bought a string of LED lights earlier this year with a remote control and it is when they are switched on that the magic eyes don't work! Thanks for all your suggestions.

The LED drivers for strips of LEDs are very RF noisy in my limited experience. I had a ceiling light with LED strip that totally wiped out my VHF receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom