magic eye?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mw3cdj, Jun 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi all,
    can anyone tell me why my sky+ remote will not work with my magic eye . It use to work with my old sky box. its the type where you plug it in to the second tv and then the second rf out from the sky+ plugs into it.
    thanks
    and yes i have switched on the rf out on the sky+ box

2. Jim Blackler

Jim Blackler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should work.

Does the red light come on on the Magic Eye?

Are you using the silver Sky+ remote (not a black Sky Digital remote, these won't work)?

Have you pressed the Sky button before trying the keys?

3. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi,
    Tryed all the above , and the red light does come on. So i cant think what else to try . any other thoughts???
    Thanks

4. Barney50

Barney50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Have you activated the 12v supply from within the sky service menu?

5. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep!!!! done that as well. Just cant think of anythin else :(
    Anyone ???
    Thanks

6. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do the 'Sherlock' logical process thing and connect it directly to the back of your Digibox, then cover up your IR receiver on the box and check that it works without your run of cable in-between. If it does work, then start tracking your RF cable to the second TV set. If you have more than a couple of joins in the cable, the signal may be reduced to the extent that the return path is no longer reaching the Digibox. If you are using splitters and/or boosters, these might affect the return path function of the 'magic eye' too. I also seem to remember reading that even if the service menu indicates that the RF output current is 'on' its worth switching it off, then back on again. My Sky+ box was very 'fussy' when I was setting up the TV link in the kitchen, I think it was a combination of reduced connections and lots of switching on/off which finally got it working.

7. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for all the info .
    Done the "sherlock" bit and all works ok . Only one length of coax about 5m long joining the box and tv. ill try to reset everything and start again. I phoned SKY last night about this problem and after 20min the told me that i need 2 remote controls , one for the main room and one for the magic eye and that should do it .Can this be true??
    Thanks

8. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Sky+ remote I use with my TVlink is a duplicate remote bought direct from Sky, I think it cost about £20 including postage. You don't really need two remotes, because you could just carry the one Sky+ remote you do have between the two rooms and use it in the room you're viewing in at the time. I know it's already been said and you confirmed it, but you are using a Sky+ remote in the other room and not your old Sky Digital one, aren't you? I seem to recall reading that the old Sky remote can be programmed to perform rudimentary functions on the Sky+ box, but with no access to the play/rec/ffwd/rew/pause buttons etc, it's pretty useless. After reprogramming, it will bring up the EPG to select recorded programmes and view them, do channel up/down, etc.

9. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After pulling most of my hair out, i got on the phone to SKY (it took 20min to speak to someone who knew anything about SKY+) who eventualy sent an engineer around.When the engineer arrived he just did what i have already done and then he was stumped, so he phoned SKY and after about 10 min he got the answer " THERE IS A PROBLEM ON SOME OF YHE NEW SKY+ BOXES WHERE THE 2nd RF OUT WILL NOT ACCEPT A COMMAND FROM THE REMOTE" . After he left i phoned SKY again to see what the were going to do about my problem, and to my suprise they are going to send me a new box which has been tested to make sure the 2nd RF out works ok.
    At last a result!!!!!!!!!

10. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    mine is the same as well i have justed noticed that my sky eye no longer works
    i will phone sky tomorrow about it . better put the old hdd back then

:confused:

11. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well after a 20 min phone call to Sky and going through all the normal checks , they have said that there is a "problem with v2 boxes and the tech dept is looking at it "
    It sounds like the 9V comimg out is low but the box needs at 9v to work . I will get me meter out later and have a measure .
    Sky will phone when this problem has been resolved

So i sit and wait then :boring: :boring: