Question Magic Eye

sl29

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum and not too technically inclined so please be kind.

We have ditched sky and replaced our main tv with a Samsung smart tv in our living room. Our old tv had a magic eye link feeding into the upstairs bedroom and we now wish to be able to view the freesat content from the new smart tv upstairs. Note - we have no connections to the bedroom tv other than the power lead and the magic eye.

Looking at the leads in the living room, magic eye looks to have been hooked up via a lead which has its centre core exposed, that was previously inserted to the back of our old sky box.

Do I simply fix a coax plug to this lead and slot it into the “ANT IN air/cable” connection at the back of the smart tv?

Or am I required to get a RF modulator as I’ve read on similar threads, and connect that to the “ANT IN air/cable”?

I don't think that the magic Eye will work, as it only works with sky boxes... It uses the RF out socket and gives a 5 volt trigger for the magic eye to work..

If the Freesat option is in the TV and not a free standing satellite receiver then it may be there is no video out to send to another room .. you'll have to read through the manual & online details first that.

If that is the case, you can consider getting another satellite receiver in the bedroom and connecting that to the satellite dish with a new cable or 2.

The cheapest mainstream satellite receivers can be cheaper than a modulator but a dedicated Freesat box will be more. I hear Manhhatten have a new freesat box out or its Humax freesat boxes.

We have ditched sky and replaced our main tv with a Samsung smart tv in our living room.
Model number? Does it have one or two sat inputs?
Pedro's idea is possibly the best if you don't want to record the Freesat content (My Sammy {see my sig} does not have a video output). If you do want to record, then the whole setup needs re-examining as to your preferred requirements before a possible solution(s) could be suggested.

If the Freesat option is in the TV and not a free standing satellite receiver then it may be there is no video out to send to another room .. you'll have to read through the manual & online details first that.

If that is the case, you can consider getting another satellite receiver in the bedroom and connecting that to the satellite dish with a new cable or 2.

The cheapest mainstream satellite receivers can be cheaper than a modulator but a dedicated Freesat box will be more. I hear Manhhatten have a new freesat box out or its Humax freesat boxes.

Thanks- the issue is that the tv in our bedroom is not a smart tv so a satellite feed to there wouldnt work. I essentially want to mirror what is in the living room smart tv (;freesat built in).

Is this possible or am I looking at this in too much of a simplistic view point??

Thanks- the issue is that the tv in our bedroom is not a smart tv so a satellite feed to there wouldnt work. I essentially want to mirror what is in the living room smart tv (;freesat built in).

Is this possible or am I looking at this in too much of a simplistic view point??

It all depends on whether the smart tv has any video out & I think that's unlikely - you know maybe they really should have video out as it is a problem when you have a service in a tv like freesat or even freeview or smart telly feature but it's stuck in the tv - you can't send it to anther tv in another room

the tv in the bedroom can be used 'if' you use a stand alone receiver & they start at £20.

Yes. To get the video from downstairs to upstairs, you first need a video source downstairs and it is unlikely that your TV (which you still haven't told us the model number) has a video O/P. If not, then you have no chance without a Freesat (or similar) box and the best location for that would be at the bedroom TV.
Probably, the easiest way would be to get a Freesat (or similar) box and install it in your bedroom. You do not need a smart TV there as all (most) TVs have the facility for an external video input from a box.
The main problem with this approach is that If your downstairs TV uses both sat inputs (another unanswered question) is that at present, you don't have a spare sat connection and you can't 'split' them. If your TV only uses one sat connection, then run an extension lead to the new sat box upstairs, bearing in mind that you won't have full facilities in a sat recording box.

EDIT. Cross posted with pedro.:blush:

I don't think that the magic Eye will work, as it only works with sky boxes... It uses the RF out socket and gives a 5 volt trigger for the magic eye to work..

It's actually a 9V power supply to power the magic eye.

Technically at the Sky box end a UHF modulator creates a analogue PAL I channel using a spare UHF channel not used by your tramsmitter from the Sky box composite video and audio out, and adds this to the DVB-T/T2 channels from your aerial. The remote TV's analogue tuning capability allows you to watch this channel. The magic eye has nothing to do with watching the pictures.

A magic eye contains a infra red receiver and a VHF modulator that transmits the remote control signals back down the coax to a VHF demodulator built in to a sky box or the later add on I/O Link units. The demodulator sends the remote control signal directly to the Sky box.

By simply adding a UHF modulator with the capability to re-transmit the original Infra Red in the downstairs room you can use the system with anything with a composite video and analogue source.

All you need is the appropriate box and a source of composite video and analogue audio. Many modern TV's don't have a full size scart but they do usually have a compact socket that can be connected to a scart adaptor. A fully wired scart has three wires CVBS out, Right Audio out and Left Audio out, whether the new TV's have the three required outputs on scart, I have no idea.

Normally a scart with the required outputs will have a small label with a in/out arrow to indicate the outputs are present.

Some pre-HD TV's would allow you to output a seperate input to the TV from the scart, allowing you to say watch a DVD remotely while watching live TV.

You could do this on any setup using a scart matrix switch.

As already said, so far not found any kit including a non recording Freeview box that lacks the required outputs. (Often on RCA phono sockets or in the case of a Sky-Q minibox on a mini 3.5mm socket). For SD this could cost a very few pounds, considering the system is SD only the cheapest Freeview box could provide the required source.

This is one of the two units I know of that provides all you need to emulate a magic eye setup given the video and audio sources.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRI-LINK-Control-Freesat-Freeview-around/dp/B002R634DU

Labgear do a similar unit that may well be a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Very good info for dts GLT, but of no use to the OP unless his TV has a AV output.
He hasn't answered the question that I asked in order to attempt to find out. So any further posting is a waste of effort.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
By far the cheapest and easiest option if OP has an aerial feed handy.

By far the cheapest and easiest option if OP has an aerial feed handy.

The OP could use his old sky-box as a FTA non recording box for free and continue using the existing setup. Also means you can watch different channels upstairs to the main TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom