Magic eye

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Danw1, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Danw1

Danw1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a magic eye...I have set it up in the bedroom and have the picture and sound from the sky box in the lounge but there is no redlight on the magic eye so I am unable to change channel etc. Can you help please?

Thanks

Dan

2. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Ensure you are using rf2 outlet from your sky box and the 9v power supply from the socket is turned on in the sky box settings. This power supply is normally off by default and needs to be turned on before the magic eye will work

If you still can't get power to the magic eye then it may be that you are using wall socket(s) that will not allow the 9v power to pass through

A good way to check both of these things is to try the magic eye direct into the rf2 outlet via a short cable. If it still doesn't work (having ensured rf2 power is set to on, then the magic eye may be faulty

3. Danw1

Danw1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply. I have turned the power supply on, on the sky box. It does seem like the wall plates won't allow a 9v through. Anyway around this?

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
  5. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    First check the magic eye is working by connecting to rf2 directly.

A way I have used is to replace the existing wall plate with one which merely has a central hole to allow the co-ax cable to pass straight through. The cable can then be connected to another using f connectors or co-ax joints on its way to the skybox

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    A direct cable without any connections would be my method too - except that I would probably use a wireless videosender instead of the whole lot.;)

7. Danw1

Danw1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a new build flat and the aerials are all built in.just think that I may have to replace the wall plates to allow the 9v through. I am a layman to all this.what is the wireless device you said?is it expensive?thanks do much for taking time to help me,appreciate it.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    Remove them from the wall, look for a capacitor between the coax centre core and the actual socket centre pin. Solder a short piece of wire across the capacitor.

Picture here

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wallplates.htm

Only the first socket on a communal system needs the isolating capacitor. The rest should be the non isolated type. If no blocking capacitor one or more of the belling lee connectors is incorrectly fitted.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    As they supplied the cables they should have ensured that they fitted the right type of wallplate, which you can check as glt says.
    If they are right then equally they should have been wired correctly and not been loosely fitted but again that's a possibility to check.
    Does the Sky machine connect to a socket called Return on the wallplate?
    As the wiring is in place and it works one way you don't need the wireless videosender.
    A wireless IR Extender could look after the remote control though, instead of the "magic eye".
    There is a wide range of them as you can see here: Amazon.co.uk: ir extender.
    This is one of the more recent and compact models: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MARMITEK-PO...CI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1347387150&sr=8-11.

HTH and you're very welcome.:)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  10. Danw1

Danw1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked to make sure the magic eye works direct to the sky box and it does.i bought a voltmeter and there is about 7 volts at the end of the cable from the sky box,I plug that in to the wall plate in my lounge. I then checked the volts in the bedroom and there is none. I presume that the wall plate in the bedroom won't allow a volt charge through it and I need to replace them?can I get the plates from b and q?also I have a good picture on the television in the bedroom from the sky box so assuming I am using the correct plugs in the lounge as there seems quite a few.maybe it would help if I took some photos of what I mean as not sure I have explained myself correctly?

Thanks again all for your help.