magic eye signal AWFUL!

nicolanicola

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just moved house and have plugged magic eye into tv upstairs and the signal is terrible. Audio is intermittent the signal is that bad. I can control the sky+ box from the magic eye though so it is working. It's on same RF channel as it was before. I have tried going through them all but 68 is the only one that gets a signal.

When I got sky installed here, the guy did say not to ever get HD because the length of the cable he had to run was too long to get a good picture. I think he said he'd ran it 35 metres and it should've been 25 max.

So I'm thinking this is my problem, the fact that signal strength isn't that good to begin with. Am I right do you think or could there be something else?

What could I do to rectify the problem?

Many thanks.

It's on same RF channel as it was before. I have tried going through them all but 68 is the only one that gets a signal.

When I got sky installed here, the guy did say not to ever get HD because the length of the cable he had to run was too long to get a good picture. I think he said he'd ran it 35 metres and it should've been 25 max.

I know it seems a bit obvious, but when you changed the RF output channel on the Sky box did you retune the TV the the same channel?

If the installer used 'shotgun' cable the usual recommended maximum run is around 20M.
If you need a longer length, you may need to use thicker cable (WF100) or a larger dish in order to minimise signal loss in bad weather.

If you get a good picture/sound on your downstairs TV then you will get a good RF out signal - nothing to do with satellite cable length.

As Fernandez says, change the RF out channel, not forgetting to retune your TV. (If you have moved far you may have different terrestrial channels and they may be interfering with the Sky RF output.)

This is nonsense - SD and HD are carried by exactly the same method. So if you can get a signal to get SD, you can get HD.
HD does not use any higher frequencies or less error correction than SD. Yes it uses a greater bandwidth, but that just means less channels per transponder.
There is no impact on the signal strength or quality necessary to receive HD over SD. If that were the case Sky would install different/bigger dishes for HD installs to compensate - they don't (and no, they're not penny pinching).

If you get a good picture/sound on your downstairs TV then you will get a good RF out signal - nothing to do with satellite cable length.

As Fernandez says, change the RF out channel, not forgetting to retune your TV. (If you have moved far you may have different terrestrial channels and they may be interfering with the Sky RF output.)

Ahh it may be to do with retuning the TV then. I did change the RF channels but didn't retune my TV. Wouldn't that take forever to go through 69 RF channels and check every analogue frequency on my TV for each one? I have only moved about 1/4 mile up the road so I didn't think my tv channels would need changing.

I don't think I have the remote control any more for that TV, I just just an old SKY one. I bought an AV sender instead because the wires were making it look a mess but can't get that to work now arghhhhhhh!!!!

This is nonsense - SD and HD are carried by exactly the same method. So if you can get a signal to get SD, you can get HD.
HD does not use any higher frequencies or less error correction than SD. Yes it uses a greater bandwidth, but that just means less channels per transponder.
There is no impact on the signal strength or quality necessary to receive HD over SD. If that were the case Sky would install different/bigger dishes for HD installs to compensate - they don't (and no, they're not penny pinching).

What the hell was he on about then? Silly man. If he works for Sky you'd think he'd know about how the products work!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom