Magic Eye Problems - Working but grainy/fuzzy

ThyJones

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there, Got a slight problem, and some of the similar threads discuss it, but all have perfect working other channels.

My setup is as follows:

Sky+ HD Box (rf out 2 > Wall Socket - connected into loft into Booster(output port).

TV in bedroom > Booster Output socket.

I've turned the rf signal on, it was on channel 68, and ive retuned my tv.

It picked up the sky channel and i can control the sky from upstairs from the magic eye, yet the picture is grainy.
I changed the channel to channel 25, saved, turned the hd box off/on, then retuned my tv, same problem, still grainy, but the thing is here that the other terrestrial channels (1-5) are also grainy.

The signal booster in the loft has its gain turned up (ive messed with this and no difference).

I've also rewired all connection points with metal connectors.

Any suggestions please?

Hi and welcome to AVF.
Before we get started on this can you confirm and explain "Sky+ HD Box (rf out 2) into Booster (output port)"? :confused:

Sorry, bit vague with my first reply,

What I mean is, ive got a coax cable plugged into my sky+ hD box(connected via the RF2 output).

So it goes: Sky+ HD RF2 Output > Extension Cable that connects to wall socket(this is fed with the coax cable that goes into the loft).

In the loft, that same above cable plugs into an output socket of the aerial signal booster that is plugged into the mains.

Then I have my tv in the bedroom connected to a coax cable that also connects into another output socket on the aerial booster.

As said, its mostly working - I can view the channels, I can change channels, I can change volume etc, the red led on the magic eye is on, its just the channels(also including terrestrial1-5) are blury..

Thanks for the help

A "booster" amplifies the signal going into it's input to it's outputs.
The Sky RF2 is an input to the booster and should be connected as such.
I suspect you have a terrestrial aerial already connected to the booster input so connect this with the RF2 output cable using a "Y" connector into the booster input.

ahh ok, so hdbox > booster(input) - booster(output) - tv, is that correct?

Before getting the magic eye, we didn't use that booster at all, just a normal aerial plugged into the tv, so the booster is in use in the following way:

BOOSTER
Input - Empty (i assume output 1 now becomes Input)?
Output 1 - connected to sky hd(I assume now remove this?)
Output 2 - tv
Output 3
Output 4
Output 5

ok, just to add, i plugged the coax from the sky hd into the input, and the picture is now perfect(id originally tried that but think i had a connector problem then).

Only problem now though is that the red led has gone off(before i'd changed to the input though) so I cant change the channel, I don't know if i've knocked something, or if something else could be the problem, but atleast its nearly there now.

Thanks for the advice!!

How is your remote TV picking up the terrestrial channels?

How is your remote TV picking up the terrestrial channels?

god knows, as the main aerial in the loft is totally disconnected at the moment, we haven't used that big aerial for a while, as we had a small one plugged directly into the tv before the magic eye was bought in play

If you are using only the bedroom TV you do not need a booster. Just plug the RF2 cable directly into the cable going to the bedroom - your Eye should now work.

If you can plug your terrestrial aerial into RF In on the Sky box you will get terrestrial signals too.

In the loft, that same above cable plugs into an output socket of the aerial signal booster that is plugged into the mains.
Thanks for the help
That's OK, but I underlined "output" in my question - that was the point of it!
Putting something IN to the OUTput of a device wasn't going to get you very far.;)
Anyway S N already sorted that one with you.
Do as he suggests now, and if you can't get the aerial down to the receiver go back to his Y-connector way of doing it.

If you are using only the bedroom TV you do not need a booster. Just plug the RF2 cable directly into the cable going to the bedroom - your Eye should now work.

If you can plug your terrestrial aerial into RF In on the Sky box you will get terrestrial signals too.

The thing is, they are two cables, one is from sky rf2 out into the loft, and then there is a2nd cable from the loft to the bedroom, can i join these? This was done beforei moved in.. The way i have it wired at the moment means i can now see sky in the bedroom, signal now perfect but the eye led is now off so i cant change the channel, this was working fine do i suspect a dodgy cable connection

one is from sky rf2 out into the loft, and then there is a2nd cable from the loft to the bedroom, can i join these?

Yes, and your Eye will work again.

Yes, you can join them - that's the idea. It should eliminate the problem of the remote control not going back the other way.

Yes, you can join them - that's the idea. It should eliminate the problem of the remote control not going back the other way.

Ahh ok, what connector can i uae to join the two then? Would it just be a male to female connector?

They might be male and female already. If not then yes, an f-f, or m-m, connector - should cost the best part of a pound!

Last edited:
You tell us what connectors are on the end of your cables.
I suspect you need a female to female.

If he needed a male to female then he wouldn't need one at all - the plugs would plug in to each other. :laugh:

If he needed a male to female then he wouldn't need one at all - the plugs would plug in to each other. :laugh:

Who said he would need that?

Well ive currently got a male connector on each end, because currently tgey both plug into the female connections of the booster, so i assume i need a double female type connector so that the two m ends fot in, or i can buy a female connection n swap one of the ends around

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
S N: Nobody said that. You said you suspected it would be a f-f. I said if it was anything else it wouldn't need a connector at all.

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom