• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Magic Eye over Cat5?

ssum

Standard Member
Just set up RF2 from sky+ box. Red light is on with magic eye, but remote control not working. Does magic eye work over cat5. Had to use cat5 for part of the cable as extension was built, but ct100 was not put into the loft from this particular tv.

I have about 7m of ct100 from tv, then a cctv balun connecting to cat5. Cat5 to the loft the another cctv balun connecting to the amp. Picture a bit grainy so I'll check connection again. Help please.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
I'll leave it to others for a more technical explanation (and may be completely wrong) but AFAIK CAT5 is not suitable for RF (which is what is coming from the RF outs on a Sky box) and this would explain the poor picture and probably one of the causes of the magic eye not working)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I'm with you Fernandez. You would surely need an analogue tuner at the end of the first coax to convert to cvbs and audio. Then a balun for cvbs with a rf modulator at the other end connected to the matching balun to reconvert to RF. Not really practical. :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom