Magic eye on HD tuner

caledonia

Novice Member
Currently Sky rf2 goes out to second tv via coax wire so is analogue

bought a modulator Edision HD single DVB-T to put over coax but second tv does not have a HD tuner so will have to buy a HD tuner box to connect modulator to before tv

modulator has in and out coax so works with magic eye

but before i buy HD tuner box will i put magic eye in before it goes to HD tuner box and will it still work

ie rf2 out to modulator in (for magic eye to work) and modulator out to coax 20 metres then magic eye then HD tuner box

Hdmi will obviously be connected from sky box to modulator as well and from tuner to TV

this is tv i am sending it to and been told it does not have HD tuner anyone confirm

Attachments

• 50774087-BAF2-4068-862A-C19B0FEB9FAB.jpeg
    50774087-BAF2-4068-862A-C19B0FEB9FAB.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mikej

Your TV doesn't have a Freeview HD tuner (DVB-T2), however it does have a Full HD resolution of 1920x1080 and a digital tuner (DVB-T) and you mentioned your modulator works via DVB-T, so are you sure your TV's lack of a DVB-T2 tuner matters ? I might be missing something here, but it's worth checking.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure all Full HD TVs sold in the UK had the required HD codec?

But if the TV has the needed H.264 codec it should work. Have you tried manually adding/tuning in that modulator channel yet? HD is widely, on the Continent DVB-T using that codec. If the TV supports multiple countries it's more likely to have the codec inside.

Our Freeview HD needs the DVB-T2 tuners, which came after HD via DVB-T in other places.

What is make and model of the TV (to find full specs)?

But to answer the specific question: Yes place the magic eye before the input to a separate DVB-T2 tuner/pvr box if one is required.

caledonia

Novice Member
Thanks will check later working away from home till weekend

should add tried modulator out of the box same setup and channel on my other sony tv and worked fine
Do you need to tune modulator different channels for different tvs

caledonia

Novice Member
I'm not sure all Full HD TVs sold in the UK had the required HD codec?

But if the TV has the needed H.264 codec it should work. Have you tried manually adding/tuning in that modulator channel yet? HD is widely, on the Continent DVB-T using that codec. If the TV supports multiple countries it's more likely to have the codec inside.

Our Freeview HD needs the DVB-T2 tuners, which came after HD via DVB-T in other places.

What is make and model of the TV (to find full specs)?

But to answer the specific question: Yes place the magic eye before the input to a separate DVB-T2 tuner/pvr box if one is required.

This one⬇

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The tuner is DVB-T/C and analogue PAL.

The codecs inside your set aren't mentioned in the spec. 2009: no reason why if the TV was specced by eBuyer to be used in other EU countries it couldn't have it as it was in broadcast use by then in some places.
If specced for UK use only, however... so if you tried it tuned to the correct frquency and got no picture it probably hasn't; a HD stb or new TV are the solutions to that.

NB from memory most TVs will give the sound with no picture from such sources. Caravanners going to France have/had that problem back in the day.

caledonia

Novice Member
Ok im confused on the re-tuning do you mean sky box or Modulator or Tv its going too

this is what i get on tv but when i click on it i get blue screen like its on a channel but no picture and screeching interference

also i get lots of different countries in dropdown menu when tuning not sure who asked this

ok works fine on sony tv so i am near 100% sure tv does not have the correct codec

Attachments

• 838D41E5-BD4E-405F-ADB6-CE897D2D4F1C.jpeg
    838D41E5-BD4E-405F-ADB6-CE897D2D4F1C.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 11
  • CB1A2621-71A2-4526-BF59-C0E51930C06C.jpeg
    CB1A2621-71A2-4526-BF59-C0E51930C06C.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
It was tuning the TV.

But that's fairly conclusive that the TV ain't got the codec(s) needed (or disabled for UK/GB/Freeview use).

Screeching sound: Ensure the Modulator Sound Encoder is set to MPEG and not AAC ?

On the TV:
IF confident and can read French well enough to reverse it back to UK/GB .... there'll be no harm in trying a 'French' tune?

But it's unlikely to help in all probability (it would be odd / extra work to enable/disable the codecs by Country setting). {Although Panasonic probably do similar with UK specific models.}

caledonia

Novice Member
Before i plug everything in again surly if it works with a sony tv it cant be an MPEG/AAC wrong setting
Or is this setting different for different TVs

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
HE-AAC / AAC audio codecs are more recent and mandatory on DVB-T2 Freeview HD but possibly not on the early DVB-T HD sets?
MPEG is used on all SD sets.

The DVB-T2 Sony will do either sound system for sure.

caledonia

Novice Member
Tried french no go
Audio Was on mpeg

If i buy a Freeview HD box will this set up work

skyHD/HDMI cable/Modulator/ coax/Freeview box/HDM cable to TV

Modulator supports magic eye so would have to add coax from rf2 out to modulator in
And presumably from freeview box out to tv (or could i just add magic eye before freeview HD box

mikej

Have you considered upgrading to Sky Q and getting a Mini box for the other room ?

It would solve all these issues and give other benefits such as being able to watch channels independently in each room and boosting your house WiFi signal via the Mini box.

I know people who've got free installation and reduced their monthly bills based on how much they were previously paying for Sky HD.

At the rate you're going, you risk paying more and ending up with an inferior set-up.

caledonia

Novice Member
Considered sky Q but also have other sky box (multiroom) in other room so would have to get two boxes
Also sky Q would have impact on wifi and our wifi is sometimes iffy as well
My main tv is a sony bravia HD and all other TVs in the house are HD so would sky Q be a benefit if i dont have 4k

mikej

Considered sky Q but also have other sky box (multiroom) in other room so would have to get two boxes
Also sky Q would have impact on wifi and our wifi is sometimes iffy as well
My main tv is a sony bravia HD and all other TVs in the house are HD so would sky Q be a benefit if i dont have 4k

My partner has a 4-bed house with a Sky fibre router in the kitchen, main Sky Q box in the lounge and Mini box in a bedroom and it all works well, but yes - as the Mini box works via wi-fi, then I presume you'll need a decent wi-fi signal in the room it's going in, plus the lounge too if an ethernet connection to the router for the main box isn't possible.

4K is one benefit of Sky Q over Sky HD, but there are others such as an improved user interface, larger capacity boxes, the ability to record more programs at once and built-in wi-fi. Not everyone likes the Sky Q 'experience' but I have definitely found it better than the Sky HD box it replaced, which I found frustratingly slow.

I was just throwing this out there as another option - I'm not a Sky customer myself so I can only comment based on my experience with my partner's Sky Q set-up, but she seems happy with how it works and managed to negotiate a good deal. One thing to bear in mind is that if you want to stay with Sky, then it's likely you'll end up with a Sky Q box at some point in the future, at which point your magic-eye system may cease to function.

If you'd prefer to try your proposed set-up though (seeing as you already have the modulator), then I would make sure you buy the Freeview box from somewhere you can easily return it if it doesn't solve your problem. The alternative would be to put the money you'd spend on that towards a new TV - if the current one is 11 years old, then it's definitely approaching the end of it's life-span.

Last edited:

mikej

Can you still work SKY Q main box through a satellite dish or is it all wifi.

A Sky Q box still receives its satellite channels via the dish - you normally get a new dish (or a new LNB at least) and possibly coax as part of the upgrade.

You need an internet connection for the main Sky Q box via Wi-Fi or ethernet to access any catch-up or streaming services (eg. Netflix) and download Sky programmes.

The Mini box connects to your home network via Wi-Fi and presumably gets its channels via the Sky Q box, as there is no direct coax connection to the dish.

This is all AFAIK - hopefully somebody with more technical knowledge of Sky Q can correct any of this if it is wrong.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
A Freeview HD box acting as the tuner-decoder will definitely receive the DVB-T modulator signal for circa £35-£40 until you upgrade that TV set.

Ensure it's a proper Freeview HD box, though. e.g. Manhattan T1 and not some generic DVB-T2 device.

I'll not comment on $ky Q and it's recording, streaming and mesh wifi capabilities, but there are other threads here and elsewhere to pore over if you want.

caledonia

Novice Member
A Freeview HD box acting as the tuner-decoder will definitely receive the DVB-T modulator signal for circa £35-£40 until you upgrade that TV set.

Ensure it's a proper Freeview HD box, though. e.g. Manhattan T1 and not some generic DVB-T2 device.

I'll not comment on $ky Q and it's recording, streaming and mesh wifi capabilities, but there are other threads here and elsewhere to pore over if you want.
Will the magic eye work if i put it before the freeview hd box or has it to be after

p.s it works with the modulator in/out coax as demonstrated on youtube but the coax comes straight from modulator to tv with magic eye just before the tv

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Must be before.
The box will block the return IR VHF signals (due to the amplifier-splitter-tuner in the box between in and out).

caledonia

Novice Member
So then i connect Manhattan T1 HD hd box to second tv through hdmi or have i to run coax through it to tv as well

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Coax from the modulator (and UHF TV aerial if connected?) to the Magic Eye to Manhattan STB.
hdmi Manhattan to TV for pictures and sound on the TV's external hdmi input.

Then you can use the Manhattan as the sole tuner source for viewing (freeview via aerial and modulator). That will give you HD pictures on the TV via freeview (101 BBC One, etc.,.. and the modulator ($ky channels, some may be SD upscaled by the $ky box). You'd use the Manhattan remote.

Only if you want to use the SD tuner in the TV without turning on the Manhattan will you need to connect a coax from Manhattan to TV, and use the TV's remote.

caledonia

Novice Member
Thank you for your patience and answers as im not to quick on the connections

so its sky hdmi to modulator also Sky rf2 coax to modulator in (for magic eye) modulator out coax to magic eye then into Manhattan HD box connected to tv through hdmi (unless i want the freeview channels then connect coax out of Manhattan to tv also

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Yes that is the correct order.
NB The Manhattan will do all the Freeview channels for you as well as the $ky channel via the modulator.

Only if you want to use the TV's own internal tuner will the extra coax be required.

I would fit one, but don't bother if you don't have a spare cable!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Streaming giants face UK regulation by Ofcom
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio launches new Satsuma and Honeydew earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021: 21st-22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett